• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

aroma / aromatic hops question

gwapogorilla

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Doing more research folks...so a quick question about aroma hops.
I "mainly" drink beer from a bottle. They are so easy to chill and transport, plus they don't make a koozie for a mug yet. With that said, when I start brewing I plan on bottling and drinking from the bottle.
While I know when beer is poured into a glass forming a foam head, it releases the aromas for the nose to hit when you tip that glass.
Now for my question....
In order to get that same "aromatic" experience while drinking from a bottle, do you need to kick up the aromatic hops volume?

Thanks for the patience guys/gals.

Mark

Unless you plan to start off with a keg setup complete with a CO2 tank, regulator, cooler, and a beer gun, your beer will be bottle conditioned. That means there will be yeast sediment in the bottle left behind by the yeast that produced the CO2 to carbonate the beer after eating the priming sugar you added right before bottling.

It won't harm you, but it isn't very pleasant to drink either. Most homebrewers do the long pour into a mug, leaving the last cloudy bit behind in the bottle.

Look around at the beer store and you'll find some bottle conditioned beers. They're out there. This brand comes immediately to mind. http://www.unibroue.com/ Try drinking it from the bottle, yeast and all. You may rethink your plans and buy some nice mugs.

There's little chance you'll get much more than a little whiff of the hop (and malt) aromas in your brew through that tiny opening in the top of a bottle. The brew may still taste great, but the aromas won't wow you unless they're set free. Unless you pour it into a glass, your perception of its aromas will remain constrained.

It's almost an injustice to keep those aromas locked up in the bottle, not to mention the taste is also defined in large part by what your nose takes in during the tasting process. You know when you have a cold and your sniffer isn't working?... beer (and pretty much everything else) just doesn't taste quite right.

Oh, and there's the shock of getting a mouth-full of yeast in the last pull off of that bottle-conditioned brew... Maine's got that one covered nicely.

And what about the satisfying view of your beer from the glass?  I have yet to drink a homebrew I didn't hold up to the light and admire first.

Just by some good glasses already!  :)

Maine Homebrewer said:
Unless you plan to start off with a keg setup complete with a CO2 tank, regulator, cooler, and a beer gun, your beer will be bottle conditioned. That means there will be yeast sediment in the bottle left behind by the yeast that produced the CO2 to carbonate the beer after eating the priming sugar you added right before bottling.

It won't harm you, but it isn't very pleasant to drink either. Most homebrewers do the long pour into a mug, leaving the last cloudy bit behind in the bottle.

Look around at the beer store and you'll find some bottle conditioned beers. They're out there. This brand comes immediately to mind. http://www.unibroue.com/ Try drinking it from the bottle, yeast and all. You may rethink your plans and buy some nice mugs.
Really?! I thought the Irish moss and the 2 stage fermentation were suppose to take care of all of that?

Irish moss can help clarify beer by dropping protiens out.  Two stage fermentation can help clarify beer if you use a lot of adjuncts and give time for things to settle and/or flocculate (but so does one stage if you wait long enough).  But there is always still yeast in the beer and you need that yeast to be there so you can bottle and carbonate.

At bottling when you blend if the priming sugar that little bit of yeast that is still suspended in your beer becomes active again and processess off your priming sugar.  This is what carbonates the beer.  But of course the yeast grows and multiplies and a small layer of yeast will sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Humble Brewer said:
Irish moss can help clarify beer by dropping protiens out.  Two stage fermentation can help clarify beer if you use a lot of adjuncts and give time for things to settle and/or flocculate (but so does one stage if you wait long enough).  But there is always still yeast in the beer and you need that yeast to be there so you can bottle and carbonate.

At bottling when you blend if the priming sugar that little bit of yeast that is still suspended in your beer becomes active again and processess off your priming sugar.  This is what carbonates the beer.  But of course the yeast grows and multiplies and a small layer of yeast will sediment at the bottom of the bottle.

Makes sense...thank you. ;D

You don't sniff beer while it's in the bottle.  If you do, make sure no one is looking.  ;D

Back