• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stir-Plate 3000 yeast stirrer review

ImperialStout

Brewer
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on previous stir plate post. Now trying to decide between the $50 Stir Starter and the $100 Stir-Plate 3000. Building my own is out of the question as am currently rewiring and insulating the garage. After all, brewing in a warm place is so much nicer.

Would be interested in hearing from people who have used either stir plate to make 2.5 L starters. Keep in mind I brew big beers that recommend 3 L starters. That seems a little overkill to me so going with the 2.5 L.  I am just a little concerned that the Stir Starter will not handle 2.5 L starters on a monthly basis.

The review of the Stir-Plate below is very positive. Price ranges from $109 to $149, depending where you buy it.

http://nickrace.net/2011/06/stir-plate-com-stir-plate-3000-review/

Any thoughts?

"Go big ... or go home". I paid about $100 for mine. You can also buy bigger stir bars. I love my stir plate and run it almost 24/7.

I built my own using a radio shack project box, PC case fan, rheostat, ac plug for about $30.

Mark

MikeinRH, I take it you have the Stir-Plate 3000 and make 2.5 L starters? if you use another make or model please let me know what you use.

Thanks

Naw. I got the Stir Plate 2000. It does a great job with 1000ml in a 2000ml flask. Any more than that and you might witness a messy volcanic reaction. I stir for a minimum of two days ... and sometimes separate a batch in half. Yeast can be the gift that keeps on giving. I've brewed eight 5-gallon batches successfully by separating and adding more DME. Some folks warn against doing that out of fear for contamination. I'm not going to mention my success rate because I don't want to jinx myself. I also use White Labs exclusively.Here's a thought for you. If you examine the yeast inside a vial of White Labs, then compare the layer of yeast that settles out from two or three days stirring yeast, you can get a pretty good idea that you've doubled or tripled the original yeast count. I hope this helps.

I have a Stir Starter and it struggles with a 2000ml starter.  I think that is a function of the size stir bar that I have (it's only about an inch). Otherwise, it has plenty of power, as it will throw the stir bar to the side of the flask quite quickly(with a 1500ml starter) if I crank the power up all the way.

factory said:
I have a Stir Starter and it struggles with a 2000ml starter.  I think that is a function of the size stir bar that I have (it's only about an inch). Otherwise, it has plenty of power, as it will throw the stir bar to the side of the flask quite quickly(with a 1500ml starter) if I crank the power up all the way.

Yep that's definitely the stir bar, not the stirrer itself. A 2" bar would do much better for a 2l flask.

I was taught that all you need is a vortex so you can inject oxygen into the process. I don't think you're after "whipped cream".

MikeinRH said:
I was taught that all you need is a vortex so you can inject oxygen into the process. I don't think you're after "whipped cream".

You are absolutely correct, one just needs to create a vortex.  I was commenting more on the available power from the stir plate, WRT throwing the stir bar when I crank up the power.

Back