• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Creating a recipe using grain and hop percentages, with target ibu and OG

m750

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all -
I'm a reasonably new brewer, and not a beersmith expert by any means.
However, I'm wondering what steps one would take to create a recipe using a target abv, grain percentages, and target ibu.
I realize that calculated values change base on equipment, but I don't know of a good way without tons of manual adjustements, and doing the figuring by hand first.

AO

I would like to know that too.  I recently bought a book called "IPA" by Mitch Steele, which has many recipes at the end of the book.  The malt bill and hops are all in % and not in pounds or ounces.  I have heard that Beersmith will do the conversions for me to make a 5 gallon batch (or whatever) but I don't know how to do that.  Any help would be appreciated.
Sidney

Not directly, no.  You can add your grains to your recipe and then change the amounts manually until the%/ibu columns match your grist percentages desired.  Then,  select the adjust gravity button at the top to select the OG desired.  The percentages will remain constant.

Mark

Where it says weight at the bottom on the grain you are adding(The grain popup), just enter the percentage in there but don't forget the % at the end. You will have to readjust the ABV slider but that should be it. I have entered several recipes just by percent and it works good.

Thanks for replies.  I'll try what you said. - Sidney

There is also a grain %button in the same col um as the add grain/hops buttons. You can use this to adjust % after the grains have been added to the recipe. Hope this helps in some regard.

Back