• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

India Pale Lager?

mclynch

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've got a wedding to brew for in May, and a nice lager- temp basement at the moment, so would like to try a nice hoppy lager recipe.  Jack's Abbey (Framingham, MA) brews a nice IPL (their designation) - very clean and hoppy.  I'll probably try to contact them too.  But does anyone have any suggestions or recipes they've tried & liked?

Pilsner Urquell is the gold standard of lagers in my opinion.  Most beer stores carry it.  If you haven't tried it yet I'd suggest giving it a go.
I have found many good recipes online by adding the search word "clone" to the name of some commercial product that I like.

I contacted Jack's Abbey & they were kind enough to send me this, but no yeast info yet... I'll keep you posted.

Hoponius Union

80% 2 Row
4% Spelt
12% Munich
4% Cara Belge

Hops
60 Mins Magnum 12 IBU's
30 Mins Magnum 5 IBU's
5 Mins Centennial 20 IBUs
Whirl 2 oz of Centennial and Citra per Gallon
Dry  1.5 oz of Centennial, Citra per gallon

Let the beer warm up to 55-60 degrees at the end of fermentation to dry hop. Split the dry hop into two additions and add second dry hop 5 days later.

mclynch said:
Whirl 2 oz of Centennial and Citra per Gallon
Dry  1.5 oz of Centennial, Citra per gallon

Per Gallon? that's 10 oz each whirlpool, 7.5 ounces each dry

Back