• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry Hopping

steveinpa

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am reaching the point where I am ready to start recipes that require "dry hopping"
What are the general opinions as far as dry hopping/
Can in be done in the Primary Fermentor or should you always transfer to a secondary then dry hop?
What is best practice and what results have people gotten?
Thank you

I just plop pellets into the secondary, and transfer to a keg once there are no more floating hop bits.  My first time I used an ounce and a half in a five gallon glass carboy.  The hops formed a foamy raft (hop bits and CO2 from the yeast. I've never had an infection from dry hopping) in the top and almost pushed the stopper out. Had to siphon out a few cups to make room. Also, an ounce and a half was WAY too much for my taste. I only use a quarter or half ounce now, and make sure there is head space.

I prefer to dry hop in secondary because I'm a firm believer in getting the beer of the yeast/trub in primary as soon as you can.  I usually dry hop the last 10-14 days or whenever the hops drop from the top completely.  I use 2-3 oz of hops for my pale ales and an oz per gallon for my IPA's. 

Mark

There are lots of choices on how and when.  Secondary is not needed but if that is your process already, then dry hop there.  I would not recommend changing process to dry hop.  personally, I would never and have never use a secondary. 

I dry hop in the primary after 5 or more days of fermentation depending on the recipe and desired results.  Sometimes I use a schedule and sometimes all at once.  I usually dry hop for 5-7 days depending on when I have time to keg.

I have also dry hopped in the keg when I forgot to do it in the primary. 

Once, in the keg, I tripled the dry hop quantity but only left it for two days.  Once of the best DIPA I made. 

/Joe

Back