• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mainbrew Home Brew Supply

mbg

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Thinking of upgrading my turkey fryer burner to a Blichmann (and possible going to natural gas). I moved from a turkey fryer pot to a converted keg. Would like feedback on the burner, NG, and if anyone is familiar with this supplier.

Thanks,

Mike

(fixed supplier name)

If it is the Mainstreet Home Brew in Hillsboro, then I am familiar with them. Good people, good store, they have a free tasting every Thursday evening.

I went with one of their house brand (not sure where they get them from) BK instead of Blichmann and had their stainless guy convert it for an electric element and temp probe.

No insights on the burner, but I've been very pleased with my electric BK. Cheaper than bottled gas, more controllable, and I can brew in the utility room (if I clean up every speck of spilled wort). It's easy to build your own electric Bk; see http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ for a complete parts list and sourcing.

I have not heard of Mainstreet .. but there is a "Mainbrew" in Hillsboro.  Used to be downtown, now just off of US 26, on the North side.  That is the only LHBS I shop at and have done so extensively.  Know, like and trust the people there and products.  I did, however, buy a kettle online and went to talk to the owner of that LHBS and he said they were carrying the same product as I ordered, but the shipment had not gotten there yet.  They have two grades in the generic kettles, a thin SS and a thicker SS.  I got the thicker one and am very happy.  Thick and heavy, but strong sturdy handles and nice thick bottom with even heat distribution.  They also carry the Blichmann products, and their inventory seems to keep expanding on the Blichman products.  Neighbor across the street has an all Blichmann all grain setup and stand and it is good stuff.  But NG does burn different than Propane and you need to change the nozzles.  Also, I forget which way it goes, but I believe NG burns hotter and not quite as clean as propane (or the exact opposite), anyways 1 will take slightly longer to heat.

Nwengr1 said:
I have not heard of Mainstreet .. but there is a "Mainbrew" in Hillsboro.  Used to be downtown, now just off of US 26, on the North side.  That is the only LHBS I shop at and have done so extensively.  Know, like and trust the people there and products.  I did, however, buy a kettle online and went to talk to the owner of that LHBS and he said they were carrying the same product as I ordered, but the shipment had not gotten there yet.  They have two grades in the generic kettles, a thin SS and a thicker SS.  I got the thicker one and am very happy.  Thick and heavy, but strong sturdy handles and nice thick bottom with even heat distribution.  They also carry the Blichmann products, and their inventory seems to keep expanding on the Blichman products.  Neighbor across the street has an all Blichmann all grain setup and stand and it is good stuff.  But NG does burn different than Propane and you need to change the nozzles.  Also, I forget which way it goes, but I believe NG burns hotter and not quite as clean as propane (or the exact opposite), anyways 1 will take slightly longer to heat.

You are correct it is mainbrew. Sounds like they can be trusted. I may buy the burner and compare it propane -vs- NG. I know NG has 15% less energy content per their web page.

Thanks,

Mike

Back