• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rye malt extract and Roggenbier

tom_b

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello:

I'd like to try a roggenbier using a rye malt extract recently offered by an on-line brewing supply company (NB).  Does anyone have experience using this extract or could suggest a substitute in BeerSmith?

I am going to assume no on will be answering my question.  Experience with this malt syrup is too limited. I did find it listed in BeerSmith under an NB rye stout recipe so I have cut and pasted that ingredient into two small batches I will be trying.

Regarding roggenbier, I'm not optimistic about using it for a roggenbier because the syrup is 70% 2-row barley malt, not pure rye malt extract.  So it will be good for beers with a rye addition, but not if rye is the majority in the grain bill.

Hi, did anyone get around to trying the rye syrup out? I know Briess also do a rye malt extract but it's proving to be difficult to get hold of in the UK.

Cheers,

Amos

Found the Briess product on Amazon (US) ...

http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Malt-Extract-lbs-Brewing/dp/B009WU2TF8?tag=newdea02-20

... unfortunately for me it can not be shipped to the UK :(

Cheers,

Amos

As a follow-up to the those interested in my experiences with NB's rye malt syrup. I made two, 2.5 gal batches with it; one was a rye stout and the other a rye porter. The stout turned out very nice; dark, pleasant graininess and slight bite from the darkly-roasted grains with a dry finish. I really can't say, however, what the rye is contributing. The porter is still in the secondary awaiting the addition of oak chips and rye whiskey, but the samples I've drawn show it to be a good, complex porter.

So it is worth a try, but note that the color is quite dark.

As I have mentioned in the other thread, I've finally found the Briess extract in the UK. It's not in stock atm, but I've been informed it'll be available within a week now :)

Because the Briess wort will be quite pale, I'll also be using Sinamar extract to provide the colour correction.

As an aside, does anyone have any suggestions which hops would work best for the Roggenbier style? I'm considering using Tettnang but wonder if you have any other recommendations?

zeropanic said:
As an aside, does anyone have any suggestions which hops would work best for the Roggenbier style? I'm considering using Tettnang but wonder if you have any other recommendations?

From the German Roggenbier samples I drunk some time ago, I remember that hop aroma was very mild sometimes nearly hidden and bitterness low (IBU 10 - 20). Literature/recipes show often that a low to moderate noble hop flavor is desired (low total alpha acid content: usually around 2-6 %, and a mild aroma).  Tettnang, Saaz, Hallertau and Spalt could do the job according this definition. Perhaps Tettnang/Saaz could balance the sometimes fruity character of Roggenbier?

Sounds like I'm on the right track then with the Tettnang hops, although I think I'll try to keep the bitterness level towards the high end of the scale in keeping with the style (around IBU 18).

zeropanic said:
Sounds like I'm on the right track then with the Tettnang hops, although I think I'll try to keep the bitterness level towards the high end of the scale in keeping with the style (around IBU 18).

Please give us an update :)

Back