• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with Jalapeno cream ale

dustincj00

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am new to home brewing. I am on my 4th batch and all has turned out great so far. I recently purchased a kit  for a jalapeno cream ale. I brewed it yesterday and my original gravity was WAY off. It was a 5 gallon batch sg should have been 1.071 and fg should be 1.018. The kit included 4lbs of light dry malt extract, 2 lbs of american 2 row, 1 lb of carapils, 1 lb of crystal 20, 1 lb of gambrinus honey malt, 1 lb of flaked maize, 1 oz saaz hop pellets, and 1 tsp of irish moss. 2 packs of american ale yeast was included. The recipe called for the 2 row and maize to be steeped at 155 degrees for 60 mins, then the remaining to be steeped at 155 for 20 mins. I followed the instructions, but it slipped my mind to have the maize in, so I steeped the maize at 155 for 60 mins after all else was steeped per the directions. Once I brewed it with the peppers as I was supposed to, I cooled the wort and added water. I added enough water so I had 4 gallons and took a sg reading. It was 1.042. At this point I was stumped. How could it be that far off? Is there anything I can do after the fact. I have all 4 gallons in the primary fermentor.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Well the maize should have been mini-mashed along with the other grains.  I assume they gave you 2 lbs of 2-row to provide enzymes to convert the maize.  Mini-mashing isn't much different than steeping, BTW, except active enzymes are at work (which would be needed for the corn).

I doubt that was the sole reason for the low OG.  In fact I wonder if that recipe really produces 1.071 OG at all.  That seems high.  Plug it into beersmith and see what you get (mind you I did not do this).

There is probably nothing you can do now except give it time and see how it comes out.

Back