• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking for a Roggenbier Recipe

factory

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking for a roggenbier recipe.  I found one and it calls for fresh mint as a 15 min boil addition. Has anyone used mint before? Is mint appropriate to the roggebier style?  Should I just stick with the recipe in Brewing Classic Styles?

I doubt the mint is typical for the style, but if you like mint............

Rye is very gummy.  Recommend you add rice hulls to keep it flowing.

Thanks for the input maltlicker.  I was reading the BJCP styleguidelines and it didn't mention "minty" as one of the flavors.  It does mention citrus, which I assume is to be derived from hop flavors.  I have been doing some reading about rye, and as you said, it is gummy and can cause a stuck sparge if used in large amounts.  I'm planning on the rye being about ~40-45% of the grain bill so I'll definitely use your suggestion about the rice hulls.  Is a pound of rice hulls the appropriate amount?  I've used them with wheat before, and I only used 1/2 pound and everything went well.  I'm guessing that rye is a little more difficult to lauter.

I just brewed a Roggenbier using 60% Rye and only used 1/2 # rice hulls and had no problem (45 minute fly sparge) I tasted it and could not taste any sort of rye. I hope after fermentation and bottling it give some rye/pumpernikle flavor.

Back