• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

fermentation times for higher gravity?

gwapogorilla

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hey, looking into doing a high gravity batch...around 1.080 OG. Being very VERY new to home brew, I was wondering how long to leave the beer in the secondary? all of the recipes on cloud state 30 days, but looking at sites like "Midwest brew supplies", their examples are in MONTHS...like 6-8 MONTHS!
What do you folks recommend?

6-8 months seems excessive.  I don't even wait that long for my lagers.

Mark

I think they may be referring to aging in the bottle/keg before you drink it.
Being new myself, I certainly am not meaning to be condescending, simply passing on what itty bit of knowledge I have gained.
The fermentation is different than the aging process. Fermentation for most 'regular' beers is usually only a couple weeks. There are guys that let it sit in the primary (first stage) fermenter for a lot longer, but that's a subject for many other threads. The aging process is when your 'wort' is done fermenting and then you put in the carbonating sugar (in whatever form that may be...me at my early pre-pubescent beer life, I am still using just plain 'ol corn sugar) and then transferring that into the bottle, capping it, and putting it away to do its thing at a certain temperature for a certain period of time.
A lot of the standard ales/lagers/etc. age about 30 days, maybe a bit longer....but I do know the stouts I have been researching talk about being better after aging for 3, 4 or even 6 months or longer.
tom_hampton and Maine Homebrewer have hammered me on being patient....not something we like to be when looking to enjoy the fruits of our labors, and it has paid off in spades. My beer has become MUCH better as I wait..... not that I don't cheat and snark one.....just to see how it's going.... :p

I have found that one month is usually about all you need.  6-8 months for aging maybe, depending on style.  Brewed an IIPA with an og of 1.083, finished out in about two weeks but I left it for another 2 weeks so the yeasties could clean up after themselves.

beernbourbon said:
I think they may be referring to aging in the bottle/keg before you drink it.
Being new myself, I certainly am not meaning to be condescending, simply passing on what itty bit of knowledge I have gained.
The fermentation is different than the aging process. Fermentation for most 'regular' beers is usually only a couple weeks. There are guys that let it sit in the primary (first stage) fermenter for a lot longer, but that's a subject for many other threads. The aging process is when your 'wort' is done fermenting and then you put in the carbonating sugar (in whatever form that may be...me at my early pre-pubescent beer life, I am still using just plain 'ol corn sugar) and then transferring that into the bottle, capping it, and putting it away to do its thing at a certain temperature for a certain period of time.
A lot of the standard ales/lagers/etc. age about 30 days, maybe a bit longer....but I do know the stouts I have been researching talk about being better after aging for 3, 4 or even 6 months or longer.
tom_hampton and Maine Homebrewer have hammered me on being patient....not something we like to be when looking to enjoy the fruits of our labors, and it has paid off in spades. My beer has become MUCH better as I wait..... not that I don't cheat and snark one.....just to see how it's going.... :p

Good answer...and I thank you. The reason I ask is I am considering a Belgium trippel. Now another question...any have much knowledge of party pigs? i bought one off of ebay, and I was wonderin if this is a good was to "age" beer...rather than bottles?

LOL.....I only know of them from way back when, they already had the liquid of the gods within them, and we were consuming it. Beyond that, I must bow to the knowledge of those much wiser than I!
I do know a lot of the more experienced guys will use kegs. I'm not even close yet, I barely know how to sparge!  ;D

The reason I ask is I am considering a Belgium trippel.

Sorry about my previous snark. When I first started brewing I tried to get the most alcohol out of a brew day as possible. Now I make light beers that I can consume lots of without getting too sloppy.  So I'd rather have two kegs of a 5% brew than one that kicks my butt.

If you do decide to store it in secondary for an extended period, try to minimize the airspace in the container.  Temperature changes can cause a large head-space to change in pressure enough to suck liquid through an airlock. I had to toss a batch once that had mold floating right in the very center where the liquid from the airlock had been sucked in, causing an infection. Sad day.

Good luck!

Maine Homebrewer said:
The reason I ask is I am considering a Belgium trippel.

Sorry about my previous snark. When I first started brewing I tried to get the most alcohol out of a brew day as possible. Now I make light beers that I can consume lots of without getting too sloppy.  So I'd rather have two kegs of a 5% brew than one that kicks my butt.

If you do decide to store it in secondary for an extended period, try to minimize the airspace in the container.  Temperature changes can cause a large head-space to change in pressure enough to suck liquid through an airlock. I had to toss a batch once that had mold floating right in the very center where the liquid from the airlock had been sucked in, causing an infection. Sad day.

Good luck!

Whoa..I didn't even think of that! :eek: Thanks man!

Maine Homebrewer said:
When I first started brewing I tried to get the most alcohol out of a brew day as possible. Now I make light beers that I can consume lots of without getting too sloppy.  So I'd rather have two kegs of a 5% brew than one that kicks my butt.

You're so right Maine Homebrewer ;)

Back