Author Topic: Warm lagering  (Read 6777 times)

Offline fromBadtoWort

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Warm lagering
« on: February 10, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
So what would happen if I fermented a batch using a lager yeast at, say, temps in the 60's?? Or if I just kept it around 60? I don't have a refrigerator I can keep in the lagering temp range, but maybe I could keep it in the garage covered in wet towels during the Texas winter to keep the temp from fluctuating.  My garage is probably from 52-65 degrees for the next month or so. If I cover the carboy in wet towels sitting in a tub of water, wouldn't it be possible to keep the wort temperature down around 60 deg F??

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: Warm lagering
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
It might do OK, but that may be outside the preferred range of the yeast, which depends on the strain. 

With those temps, you might try a hybrid yeast that prefers ~60 degrees, like altbier or Cal Common.  I think I've read here that lager brewers have had good luck with the Wyeast Cal Steam yeast in a lager grain bill. 

I just used Wye 1007 Alt yeast in a 1.064 wort and it got down to 1.011 for 82% attenuation.  That yeast is a good attenuator, and in a lower gravity wort would likely be crisp enough for a pilsner or such. 

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:36:31 PM »
Steam beer. Look it up.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline texasdan

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
+1 to their advice.
I have been using White Labs WLP810 California Lager with great results.  It will tolerate temps up to 65. though I personally have been keeping it in the 50's.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp810.html
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:46:39 PM by texasdan »
Next Up: 
Fermenting: None
Lagering:     
Conditioning: #46-Special Helles
Drinking:       #45-Klosterbier, #44-Honey Ginger Lager, #43-Oktoberfest, #42-Festbier, #40 Ayinger Style Jahrhundertbier Hell, #41-Klosterbier

Offline fromBadtoWort

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
thanks, brewbros. I'll check out the White Labs.

Offline texasdan

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:54:50 PM »

I am also in Texas, and I don't know about your garage, but I don't feel I would be able to maintain any reasonable
consistent temperature in mine with one day over 70 and the next 40s and 20-30 degree drops over a few hours not uncommon.
I found I am able to keep fairly consistent fermenting temps (to 50*F) using a high styrofoam cooler from Walmart (around $7)
a piece of radiant barrier, 1 ltr ice bottles (4 switched as needed) and a digital probe stuck to the side of the fermenter so I know
when to switch bottles..  I use a blow-off tube until any wild fermentation is done then switch to an airlock.   
Just a suggestion.  Works great for me for lagers, but hey, I'm cheap.

Next Up: 
Fermenting: None
Lagering:     
Conditioning: #46-Special Helles
Drinking:       #45-Klosterbier, #44-Honey Ginger Lager, #43-Oktoberfest, #42-Festbier, #40 Ayinger Style Jahrhundertbier Hell, #41-Klosterbier

Offline tom_b

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
From what I've been told and read, the big difference will be the formation of fruity esthers and other aromatic compounds that you might not otherwise want in a lagers which are known for their very clean taste profile.

I've used Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast to do a maibock with fermentation temps in the low 60's. I was told that this lager yeast will still do well at those temperatures. The result was very good.

modification