• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Warm lagering

fromBadtoWort

New Forum Member
Reaction score
So what would happen if I fermented a batch using a lager yeast at, say, temps in the 60's?? Or if I just kept it around 60? I don't have a refrigerator I can keep in the lagering temp range, but maybe I could keep it in the garage covered in wet towels during the Texas winter to keep the temp from fluctuating.  My garage is probably from 52-65 degrees for the next month or so. If I cover the carboy in wet towels sitting in a tub of water, wouldn't it be possible to keep the wort temperature down around 60 deg F??

It might do OK, but that may be outside the preferred range of the yeast, which depends on the strain. 

With those temps, you might try a hybrid yeast that prefers ~60 degrees, like altbier or Cal Common.  I think I've read here that lager brewers have had good luck with the Wyeast Cal Steam yeast in a lager grain bill. 

I just used Wye 1007 Alt yeast in a 1.064 wort and it got down to 1.011 for 82% attenuation.  That yeast is a good attenuator, and in a lower gravity wort would likely be crisp enough for a pilsner or such. 

I am also in Texas, and I don't know about your garage, but I don't feel I would be able to maintain any reasonable
consistent temperature in mine with one day over 70 and the next 40s and 20-30 degree drops over a few hours not uncommon.
I found I am able to keep fairly consistent fermenting temps (to 50*F) using a high styrofoam cooler from Walmart (around $7)
a piece of radiant barrier, 1 ltr ice bottles (4 switched as needed) and a digital probe stuck to the side of the fermenter so I know
when to switch bottles..  I use a blow-off tube until any wild fermentation is done then switch to an airlock. 
Just a suggestion.  Works great for me for lagers, but hey, I'm cheap.

Attachments

• lager1.jpg
    lager1.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 606
  • lager2.jpg
    lager2.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 633
From what I've been told and read, the big difference will be the formation of fruity esthers and other aromatic compounds that you might not otherwise want in a lagers which are known for their very clean taste profile.

I've used Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast to do a maibock with fermentation temps in the low 60's. I was told that this lager yeast will still do well at those temperatures. The result was very good.

Back