• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beer finish

jhildebrand1

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been brewing for just over a year and next week will be brewing my 140th gallon.
  One thing comes thru that i'm unhappy with I dont get a strong tasting finish that Im looking for.
  If I raise my grain bill and lower my LME,  will I get more of the flavor of the grain Im looking for, And is there a formula for grain to Extract.  Or am I just going to make the jump to all grain

You might consider using a different grain.  American two row is kind on neutral.  Marris Otter or Golden Promise have more of an English grainy flavor.  Canadian Rahr has a bit more then American two row.  It could be you need to add some Munich or Vienna malt to get that taste you seek.  Then again, some rye might be the answer.  Sometime flaked barley add that extra mouth feel you thing s a grain flavor. 

It is hard to pick out because we all have an idea what we want but it is not the same for us all.  I use golden promise and add some Munich malt with my Pale or IPA.

I find that all-grain has a more agreeable flavor.

divide by 0.75
So recipe with 7.5 Lbs LME would be 10 Lbs of grain.

all-grain is cheaper, but a lot more work.  Unless your already mashing (holding temperature) for an hour anyways and not just doing 5 minute steeps.

What do you mean by "strong tasting finish"?

Can you give an example and maybe a counter example? Do you mean hops, malt, bitter, aroma, yeast esters...?

Or am I just going to make the jump to all grain

I recommend that to every brewer.

If I drink a IPA I want the hop to be the last thing I taste. Same with a brown malty beer I want to finish with a strong malt flavors.  My beer seems to me to have a mild finish to me. My wife thinks there fine,  I'm just trying to dail in a flavor profile that's enjoyable to me

Have you had your water tested? If you're using 100% RO H2O, there's nothing left for hops to "hang onto". Since finding out that I needed to add gypsum and pH stabilizer during the mash process it has made all the difference in the world. Google Ward Labs. They will send you a kit with instructions and postage so you can send them a sample of the water you're using.

Back