• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Design Starter Ingredients

Most people just boil up some DME for their starter. I just make a larger batch and save some of the wort before adding hops in a different pot. Adjust the gravity to 1.040 after boiling and cooling. Add it to mason jars and pressure it at 15 psi for 30 minutes. Then when  it's time to make a starter just sanitize the top of the mason jar and pour the wort into the yeast.

Understood, but I'm just suggesting that it would be nice to be able to add things like DME, LME, grains, or whatever into the design specifically for starters to get the functional benefits the program provides... like adding items to a shopping list, removing items from inventory, etc.  I really like the inventory management part of this program and thought it would be nice to have this info added to the design so people would not need to manually add/edit/delete inventory for starters or handle it outside the program. 

I personally have forgotten to purchase what I need for starters more than once then either make additional orders, drive for 2 hour 45 minutes to the nearest brew shop, or just not make a starter.

Why not create a recipe called "Starter?" Have it for the total volume you'd make. There's your ingredient list for managing your inventory and shopping list.

I have thought of creating a recipe just for starters but I have never felt like taking the time to do an all grain starter and having an entire recipe for 4 oz of DME seems excessive... but again I'm just suggesting it would be nice to have.

Reviving this thread, I would vote for a starter design page just so I can keep my starter together with my recipe instead of having two recipes:  Beer 1 Starter, Beer 1, etc.  Plus it would be nice to have the population growth estimate with added volumes/generations the way the sparge splits the dosage into multiple steps.

Back