• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Extended Primary Fermentation Profile?

kedro38

Brewer
Reaction score
Was wondering for those that do an extended single stage/primary fermentation how is your Fermentation Profile setup? Basically, I'm curious if the total duration is the same and by that I meaning the primary is increased to 30 days then the ageing/bottling decreases to 14 days... or do you just extend the primary to 30 day and keep the ageing/bottling to 30 days.

This is where I have found myself dissapointed with Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing".  He says after bottling,..it will only be 10 days until "enjoy"!  (I know, he elaborates much more on how to make it better,...but it kind of gives a false hope.)

Agreed... I do like the book and originally used that book as my primary reference but after getting a reserve built up I really started to understand the importance of aging.

Anyway, I have done more reading on brewer blogs and various websites so two weeks ago I have made one batch the way I have been doing things... meaning I used the Ale, Two Stage fermentation profile as a baseline and racked to a secondary after 4 days.  Over this last weekend I made another batch of the same beer but want to keep it in the primary for a month and compare the two. 

The only thing is that I know many more experienced home brewers keep their beers in the primary for about month.  I have read about 250 posts of people arguing/stating that "this" and "those" steps work for me but I would love to know how "this" and "those" steps are used as their baseline Fermentation Profile for these long primaries. 

I do understand that the profile is just a baseline and that the gravity tells you where the beer is at.  However, I'm learning and I'm just not sure about things like... when my beer does hit the final gravity in the upcoming weeks how much longer will it roughly take for the yeast to finish doing their thing or my first couple questions.

Back