• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est. O.G. lower that Est. Pre-Boil?? how so?

Brewhaas

New Forum Member
Reaction score
working on my first recipe with BeerSmith and I have an estimated pre-boil of 1.075 and an estimated O.G. of 1.069. how is this possible or what am I doing wrong since these are not user input values? thanks! John

I would double check your input since the pre-boil gravity should be lower than your starting OG (what you put into the primary).  The boil will reduce the amount of water and cause the concentration of sugar in the wort post boil to be higher than pre-boil.

make sure you are setting up your equipment properly. That, IMHO, is the best place to start. I kinda did it all willy-nilly for the first few batches and had some really......ummm....shall we say interesting results? Then I found the link below, and once I adjusted everything as it says, I have had very consistent numbers, hitting recipe volumes ('cept for when my dumb rear decided to NOT include the 2 quarts of starter, and suddenly ran out of room in my 6g carboy....yeah, 'nother story for 'nother day) all has been good since. I recommend to start with that, then see how your volumes show up.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.0.html

Good luck, happy brewing.....and welcome to the addiction!!! 8)

Back