• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Started my first batch today...I think I already mucked it up!

gwapogorilla

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Started my first batch today...I think I already mucked it up!

Okay, I started a yeast starter. I soaked everything in LD Carlsons easy clean for 2 to 3 minutes, got my starter wort going , pitched the yeast....and sat down at the puter to have a cold one. OH OH!!! it says on the internet that "easy clean" is NOT a sanitizer :eek:...and items are to be soaked for 20-30 minutes!!! :mad:

ARGH!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:I hope the starter isn't infected. I did a quick wash on all of my items...but I was kinda falling on to the "sanitizer" to do it's thing.

Relax have another cold one you should be fine. Once it starts to make alcohol witch should be fairly quick the chance a contamination will be slim. I would use Starsan or BTF for the primary fermenter.

Matt

After sleeping on it....I dumped it down the sink. I just can't risk all of that time and effort. I am going back to the shop to get a few more supplies AND some sanitizer.
The item I am most worried about is a instant read digital thermometer that I use when I grill my meats. Thinking it was in a sanitizer solution that needed 2 minutes, then finding out it was a cleanser that needed 20 minutes....I just cant risk it.

I'll make another starter today, and brew tomorrow.

PBW and StarSan. They're all I've used for several years.

PBW works similar to BBright. It's a alkali based cleanser that will cut through beer stone in your brew pot and anything left in a fermentation vessel. StarSan is an acid based sanitizer that leaves a film of food-safe acid on whatever you sanitize that has a low enough PH that no nasties will to grow in it.

I was turned on to those products on this forum a few years ago, and they're all I've used since. Before I'd use BBright, bleach, dish soap, iodine, or whatever else was handy. Now I only use those two.

Seriously. They're all you need.

I just got some star-san and a spray bottle....Brew house guy said it will go super far that way.
I might have been overly cautious about the yeast, but I'm kinda anal that way. I've been curing meats for years, and never gave anyone so much as a tummy ache....I'd sure hate to break that record.

I've been curing meats for years

One of my most favoritest things in the world is cured salmon.  My last one I used mostly sugar, a bit of Kosh, and a splash of liquid smoke. A week later the filet was, well, wonderful.  Some cream cheese, cucumber and a butter cracker, with a homebrew to chase it down. Heaven.

Maine Homebrewer said:
I've been curing meats for years

One of my most favoritest things in the world is cured salmon.  My last one I used mostly sugar, a bit of Kosh, and a splash of liquid smoke. A week later the filet was, well, wonderful.  Some cream cheese, cucumber and a butter cracker, with a homebrew to chase it down. Heaven.

Main Homebrewer I would love to get the low down on how you do this I love to smoke salmon but have never cured it. I am Norwegian 2nd Gen. but love picking, salting and smoking fish along with brewing  8).

Matt

Main Homebrewer I would love to get the low down on how you do this

It's really really easy. I mix up my curing mix in a bowl, lay down some plastic wrap, put some of the sugar/salt/flavor (flavor could be liquid smoke, fresh dill, fresh fennel, or whatever strikes your fancy) mix down, lay the skinned fillet on top, more mix on the fish, and wrap it up. Into the fridge it goes to be flipped once a day. After a few days to a week, depending on the thickness, you have hardened cured fish in a soupy brine. Rinse and store in the fridge, slice thin to serve.  It's that easy.
Recipes online tend to call for 50/50 sugar and salt, but my preference is to use much less salt. I once worked with a chef who cured his with just sugar and fresh dill. No salt at all.

Maine Homebrewer said:

It's really really easy. I mix up my curing mix in a bowl, lay down some plastic wrap, put some of the sugar/salt/flavor (flavor could be liquid smoke, fresh dill, fresh fennel, or whatever strikes your fancy) mix down, lay the skinned fillet on top, more mix on the fish, and wrap it up. Into the fridge it goes to be flipped once a day. After a few days to a week, depending on the thickness, you have hardened cured fish in a soupy brine. Rinse and store in the fridge, slice thin to serve.  It's that easy.
Recipes online tend to call for 50/50 sugar and salt, but my preference is to use much less salt. I once worked with a chef who cured his with just sugar and fresh dill. No salt at all.
[/quote

Thanks I will will be sure to try this. as I said I love smoked but this is what I pay big $$$ for a the local Nor. store here in town.

Matt

Maine Homebrewer said:

@Main Homebrewer
Thank you very much for sharing this recipe! It's so interesting with this different sugar/salt ratio you're refering to. What ratio do you use?
Living in Norway and having access to both self caught sea-trout and salmon from the shop this could be a hit. I found out that my current Slurk-Pilsner went very well with salmon from the oven. I was surprised because I think it's always difficult to find a good match between salmon or mackerel and beer (some wines do).

@Mjaadland
It looks like that your Norwegian genes also work on the other side of the ocean, Matt ;)
The other thing that strikes me is your interest in brewing Belgium style beers. That's great! Luckely the interest in Belgium (style) beers is growing here in Norway and a lot of hobby brewers are making that step too :) Since I am visiting Belgium and the Southern part of the Netherlands often, I have access to excellent Belgium beers.
I have decided to explore first IPA/APA's and to learn to brew those myself before entering the fantastic landscape of Belgium beers.
Life is really to short ;)

Regards,
Slurk

What ratio do you use?

Honestly, I wing it. Just like my beer.  Last time IIRC I used a cup of sugar and a couple tablespoons Kosh (Kosher salt) because that was all I had left. Don't want to ruin it with iodized salt. Anyway, it was quite good. I've only tried curing fish like this a few times.  Like homebrew, even if you don't get what you intended, if the starting ingredients are good the end product is as well. Going forward though, I think the next few times I'll be using a 1/0 ratio of sugar to salt.

I was surprised because I think it's always difficult to find a good match between salmon or mackerel and beer

Because those fish are assertively fishy fish, they pair well with comparatively wimpy chasers. Light lager. Chablis from a box.  In my opinion anyway.

@gwapogorilla

Sorry to hijack your post. Hope you like cured fish!

I hate cured fish! My folks come from an old segregated type of town in NY next to lake Erie. The whole cured fish thing reminds me of loks or even pickled herring. I used to get a taste of those ethnic foods from time to time when I was a kid...always hated the fish!
Now, gimme a nice spicy Italian sausage served on a roll with some sauteed onions and peppers...along with a  Boston Lager...SHA-BANG! I'm home baby! ;D
Oh, don't worry about hijacking...it's all cool as I'm drinking beers too buddy!

Back