• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil Off Tool: Scratching my head

nemis79

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the Boil Off Tool in BS2 v2.1.02, either I'm stupid or the tool is counterintuitive.

Starting volume: Is this the expanded volume measured at boiling temp?
Starting gravity: Is this measured at 20C or something else?

I have enclosed an example, where I assume the starting volume is actually measured at 20C, the same is true for the post boil volume.

The formula V1 * GP1 = V2 * GP2 gives me 30 * 100 / 27 = 111, all fine and dandy.

Now if I fiddle around with the shrinkage rate, the post boil gravity increases, is this correct? I thought the formula above needed the temperature before and after (1 and 2) to be the same? As I interpret it, BS2 is mixing starting volume at boil temp with post boil volume at chilled temperature.

Edit: If the calculator is indeed using starting volume (V1) measured at boiling temp, shouldn't the formula be something similar to

V1 (Boil Temp) * 0,96 * GP1 = V2 (Chilled Temp) * GP2?

Attachments

• boiloff.jpg
    boiloff.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 380
  • boiloff.jpg
    boiloff.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 366
You are correct.  BS2 is pretty sloppy about mixing measurement conditions for volumes and gravities.  That's why I do all my own on paper.  I've even added tables to my brewsheet to allow me to calculate boil-off and boil-down-to volumes, because you can't trust BS2 to get it right....or more properly you have to guess what conditions BS2 is expecting you to use (at boil, 20C, etc). 

I don't use that tool, but if I did, I would set shrinkage to 0, and input 20C corrected volumes and gravities.  Then correct the final target volume back to boiling temp (*1.04). 

Back