• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Party pig...any experience out there?

gwapogorilla

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wanting to find out a little more about party pigs. Anyone have any experience with them? I was kinda wondering how well they keep beer, if they cause off flavors...stuff like that.
Thanks,
Mark

From what I understand,...they yield so little, it is not really worth the time.  Might make a great personal science project, or good for some insight to how things are done at a greater capacity?

Don't waste your money. Buy a 2-gallon or 3-gallon cornelius keg, instead.

Attachments

• IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    979.9 KB · Views: 9
I have found that it is best for small gatherings of friends, or for lighter "summer-time" batches that I drink with greater frequency.  Takes up little fridge space, and a pig of lighter stuff can be drained in a weekend.  I haven't noticed any off flavors in my experiences, and it seems to last pretty well.  I have also used it for new recipe "release parties", where it can be sampled in smaller amounts so guests don't feel obligated to drink a whole bottle.  Downside, however, is that each batch requires a new expanding pouch to keep it pressurized.  I imagine if it is going to be drank quickly, the pouch could probably be skipped,but I don't know for sure.

gwapogorilla said:
Don't have the room for a kegging system...that's why I'm looking into alternatives.

I'm in the same boat....already hearing it about just the equipment I've got....That's why I was looking at this.... I posted it in reviews, but seems nobody else has used them either...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130892097375?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

beernbourbon said:
I'm in the same boat....already hearing it about just the equipment I've got....That's why I was looking at this.... I posted it in reviews, but seems nobody else has used them either...

This is one of those items that "looks like it should work." It seems like a great idea. But, if you search a lot of forums, the trend is a lot of excitement about using it, but almost nil about using it twice. Occasionally, some manage to make it work, but I just haven't seen that very often.

yeah, that's what I was afraid of.....hadn't seen anything. Usually if one of us finds something of value (both monetarily and usefullness) we are quick to let everyone know.
Ah well, I guess I'll keep bottling til I can thin out the clutter downstairs and convince the other half that another fridge isn't such a bad thing  ::)

Back