• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How Do I Adjust For Mash Efficiency?

Notown

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am currently using a no-sparge method of brewing which is very similar to brew in a bag (only without the bag.)  I add 12 gallons of water to my mash tun, add the grain, mash and then draining about 10 gallons to my kettle.

In order for my measured OG to match the calculated OG, I need to dial down my brewhouse efficiency to 52%, However, it is my understanding that brewhouse efficiency is a measurement that encompasses the entire process, not just mashing.

It appears that mash efficiency an estimated measurement and not something customizable. 

The reason that I would like to change this is I bounce between no-sparge Brew in a Bag and Fly Sparging depending on how much time I have to brew.  I would love to be able to brew the same beer and have BeerSmith be able to adjust the volumes of grain (maintaining the proper percentages in the grain bill.)  Right now I have to adjust the recipe up or down by adjusting the brew house efficiency and tweaking the amount of grains.

Maybe I am missing something obvious.    Thanks for any help on this one.

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.msg21413.html#msg21413
This post has a spread sheet that will help you with this. Hope it's what you're looking for.

Back