• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Barleywine vs Imperial Beer at 10% ABV

ImperialStout

Brewer
Reaction score
What is the difference between brewing a Barleywine at 10% ABV and brewing an Imperial IPA or Imperial Stout at 10%? The reason for the question is I am about to brew my first Barleywine and gather from Barleywine by Zainasheff and Palmer that much longer fermenting / aging time found in most Barleywine recipes is recommended. Most Imperial brews have a little less than half of the fermenting  / aging time. 

Typically brew Imperial beers with 18 to 20 pounds of grain. Most come out good. Shoot for 10% but generally get about 8.5 or 9%. Fermenting / aging schedule is generally 14 days primary, 7 to 14 days secondary, bottle condition 28 days and age 28 days. According to Barleywine, fermentation / aging typically is 14 days primary, 14 days secondary, 90 days tertiary and 90 days aging in bottles.

Do Barleywines really require that much fermentation / aging time or should I have I been brewing Imperial brews with a similar fermentation / aging schedule?

I would think that the stout or Ipa would have a lot of flavor (hops and roasted malts) to mask any "green flavors"? And the barley wine would also benefit from dropping clear for visual appearance as well as requiring to be fairly clean( yeast settled out ) to let the subtle malt flavors shine through.

Back