• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beersmith scaling issue

wedwards

Apprentice
Reaction score
This might just be me being mental, but I cant work out what is happening.

I have a recipe that is 23L and I want to scale it up to 50L to use with my braumeister.  The recipe contains the following malts;

5.90kg Pale malt
0.17kg Amber malt

I already have a working braumeister equipment profile for 50L, so I select my recipe and then select the equipment profile and click OK.

The scaled up recipe now has the following;

13.05kg Pale malt
0.12kg Amber malt

I dont understand why its actually decreased the Amber and increased the pale.  Would have thought that, at a bare minimum, the malts would have increased by an addition 50% (approx) as I am essentially just doubling the size of the brew.

Am I missing something here, or is the calculation correct?

If I need to provide any further info, please let me know.

Hi,
  The reason the percentage would change is to match the color.  If you want to send me a copy of the recipe (before and after scaling) I would be happy to take a look at it here.  My email is beersmith at beersmith dot com.

Brad

But making it match color is not nearly as important as flavor.  And those two grain percentages are going to make the beer taste very different.  I'm having similar issues with scaling.  The grains are changing so drastically that it is like a whole new beer.

You are responding to a thread which is almost 6 years old.  Much has changed and been updated.  If you can export the recipes as .bsmx files and post them, we can look to see what has changed and why.

Back