• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to Enter Whirlpool Hop Addition

KarnivalKidd

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am trying to add some whirlpool hop additions into Beersmith but there is no option for 'Whirlpool' when adding a hop charge. I've only got Boil, Aroma, First Wort, Mash, and Dry Hop. I've been playing around with Aroma setting, but the steep time entered never changes the IBU count. In my reading, whirlpool hops have a utilization of about 10% but the aroma setting seems to be set at 0%.

Anyone know how to enter whirlpool hops to get a rough idea of what the IBUs would be given when the hop is added in the whirlpool and what the temperature of the wort is?

I use 1 minute addition.  There is no formula for whirlpool addition to calculate the IBU contribution.  You have to determine that on your own for your own system.

Google "hopstand". There's an extended discussion of the IBU contribution of hops added after flame-out on Northern Brewer's forum. The consensus seems to be that it's equal to about 10 to 20 minutes of boiling. Not a lot of help, but this looks like a topic we'll see more of in the future. Maybe as we experiment more and define the contribution better BeerSmith can incorporate an IBU contribution for whirlpool/hopstand additions.

I use whirlpool additions on most all my IPA's, calculating them as a 20 minute addition! The IBU's are right where I want them. I drop a lenght of silicone hose at flame out so that it curls about 3/4 of the circuference of my 30 gallon boil pot. A March pump maintains the wort in a slow whirlpool after I give it an initial stir. I reduce the pump flow slowly to zero at 10 minutes. Let settle for additional 10 - 15 minutes. The wort temp drops from 212 to about 187 - 190 over the 20 minutes. The trub pile is very defined. Then it hits a plate chiller.

It works for me, but do what works for you!

As far as IBUs, I calculate it as a 15 minute addition (just to split the difference between the 10 and 20 min opinions). Within BeerSmith, I have them as aroma additions, with the "steep time" being the whirlpool time. Longer whirlpools enhance aroma in beers you don't intend to dry hop.

Back