• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Viena Malt

inkaton

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new homebrewer and I'm about to brew with Vienna malt, about 75%. Is there anyting i should think about in the mash process? I'm doing a single infusion. Should it be longer?

Thanks!!

Should be fine, if the rest is 2-row you should have more than enough conversion power. 

Mark

I'm curious to know where you got your recipe. Vienna is a color malt, not a base malt. The really cool thing about this hobby, however, is you get to experiment. Good luck with what you're doing!

Mike, many including myself consider it a base malt.  Munich, on the other hand, I wouldn't want to try 100% grist.

Mark

Both Vienna and Munich are considered base malts, albeit more highly kilned than most others.  A Vienna lager would likely be mostly Vienna malt with a slight color addition, and a Munich Dunkel could be mostly Munich and Vienna, with much more color malt added, of course.  I'm pondering a Marzen soon that would be roughly a third each Munich, Vienna and Pilsner, with CaraMunich to color. 

the bottom line is that i want to do a german red beer. So there is 75% vienna,12% melanoiden, 6% carapils, 6 % caraaroma. It supposed to give me a beer with 5,7 alcool and 27 bitterness. Magnun 60 min, Hellertauer 10 min,  dry hope with Select Spalt .  Do you think it will be off balanced? To much malty taste. Maby i should try to find a vienna beer on the market to taste it.

Thank you all!

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style03.php

The balance will depend on the BU:GU ratio, so look at your expected IBUs to the expected OG.  The OG range is six points and the IBU range is 12 points, so roughly 2:1.

If IBU is 27, then OG should be about 1.050.  If you go much higher than that, you'd overwhelm the 27 IBUs and it would seem maltier. 

Recommend a big starter to ensure it finishes completely and dries out enough. 

Well my bravo/munich SMaSH has been in the fermenter for two weeks. We'll see how it comes out pretty soon.  I was willing to at least try munich as a base malt.  ::)

thank MaltLicker, this is very interesting. Next weekend I'm going to try it.  It is so exiting , my first brew will be ready in two week, can't wait to taste...

Back