• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question - Use of fruit puree in a recipe

john thorn

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all: I am making a magic hat # 9 clone recipe as I found on the Beersmith recipe cloud. I am substituting apricot puree for the extract apricot flavoring. At what point in the process is best to add the fruit puree? The brew shop said at the boil, another oniline resource recipe for this beer said in the primary and another resource said in the secondary. Any thoughts or input would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much!

I have put all juices and stuff like that in the boil at 50 mins. So 10 mins left.  I would never add it to the fermentation.  If you add it to the secondary just make sure you sanitize the whole container to be safe.

I havent used purees yet in beer, only mead.  I used about a pint of puree and lost several quarts of mead to unrelentingly loose sediment.  The raspberry flavor I hoped for departed in less than a month.  MUCH better luck with real raspberries. 

i have recently made this beer using the puree 3.3lbs can.i poured it in the bottom of the carboy then racked the beer on top starting the secondary.this beer sat in secondary for three weeks.while it was drinkable ,i was not happy with the results.first the beer was too hazy had to use finings and cold crash,this helped a bit.but ultimately the apricot flavor was too dominating.i would recommend a shorter secondary time and or using half of the can.the longer the beer sits on the puree the more flavor is extracted.

crabbs said:
i have recently made this beer using the puree 3.3lbs can.i poured it in the bottom of the carboy then racked the beer on top starting the secondary.this beer sat in secondary for three weeks.while it was drinkable ,i was not happy with the results.first the beer was too hazy had to use finings and cold crash,this helped a bit.but ultimately the apricot flavor was too dominating.i would recommend a shorter secondary time and or using half of the can.the longer the beer sits on the puree the more flavor is extracted.

i would recommend (for something as subtle as the apricot in #9) 1/4-1/3 that amount of puree. add it to secondary before racking to it. secondary for 7-10 max, then rack to a tertiary for more clarity and mellowing for 7-14 days then bottle condition for 21-30 days. if you are kegging ask someone else, i have no graduated to kegging yet ::sniff, sniff::

they sell a variety of fruit purees (probably for wine making) at the LHBS.  Any particular one that anyone has had success with making beer, and how to use it? 

The stuff isn't cheep but I assume is pretty high quality and is meant for brewing/wine making.

I think the saying 'a little dab'll do ya'" is appropriate for adding fruit.
I made a chocolate raspberry stout where I used 1 pint of strawberries
boiled/mashed for 10 mins and poured into the primary for a 5 gal batch.
I'm thinking half that amount might have been too much. The raspberry
taste overpowers everything.

Back