• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Maple Porter

BuckfieldBeerGuy

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all.  I've been brewing for 2 years and do all grain.  I've been fairly successful, and have thrown out only 2 batches, drank a few that were not... so good.  Sometimes you have to be in it for the buzz.  But mostly i make good tasting beer.  I decided that i wanted to try something new, so i tried a maple porter.  Has anyone made a beer using maple syrup.  I put the syrup directly into the boil and not quite sure what to expect. 
I'm using a primary and a secondary, both glass carboys.  I am also curious, what happens if you rack your beer into the secondary a day or two after the air lock stops bubbling? 
Any feedback would be much appreciated

I tend to let ales stay in primary from 17 to 25 days.  I'd recommend at least 14 days for a maple porter to ensure the yeast clean up the by-products of the fermentation. 

The lack of airlock activity is a sign of slowing CO2 production, but no indication of where the yeast may be in the process of eating the more complex sugars or eliminating diacetyl or acetaldehyde, etc.  Patience is rewarded in the primary fermentor.  If it clears to your satisfaction, you may decide to skip secondary entirely. 

Ya, i always let my ales stay in the primary for 7 - 14 days, and then rack into a secondary.  I was just curious thats all. 

Back