• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

query about the mashing technique

jamier

Apprentice
Reaction score
Just did my first brew in my RIMS system[20litres] I had to constantly "scrape" the false bottom of the mash tun to allow circulation to continue at a reasonable rate. Is this normal?. I had no problems once I did the mash-out and the fly sparge.
Is it normal to stir the mash for the full hour, or are you supposed to leave it alone?

It should flow nicely sometimes I get stuck if I have like 50 lbs. of grain in the tun. Was it a huge beer? Did you mill it to fine?Did you prime the pump good?

It was only a medium beer[1.046]. I did not do the crush,it was done by the grain supplier who does a lot. The pump was going well before adding grain. I don't mind stirring it constantly if this is OK to do???

Maybe your crush is a bit too fine, try to adjust it a bit more coarse without losing too much efficiency.

Cheers! :)

Back