• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stubborn Low Gravity issues!!!! HELP

jaybird789

Apprentice
Reaction score
:eek:
I have a 10 gal Igloo system and have attempted to make 5 batches. I NEVER hit my OG after I fly sparge. My first runnings are typically spot on, they I sparge and my gravity is consistently 10 points off! My water calculations are set for my Beersmith equipment profile and my strike temp is always spot on.

I run my grains twice through the local homebrew shop (making sure to not turn it into flour). I never get stuck sarges, I make sure to stir my grains real good to avoid dough balls and pockets. This is so frustrating.

Beersmith defaults water to grain ratio at 1. I'm going to try 1.3 this time to at least get more volume of higher gravity wort.

I sparge for 30 to 45 mins at 170. Am I a klutz or is there some wisdom out there that can get me on the right track? I use PH stabilizer to get my strike water at target PH as well.

I'm so frustrated, I want to give up. Any help is welcome.
Thanks,

You always hit "your" gravity. It's your target that your missing. Is this target created in Beersmith? Or perhaps a recipe you found online? What are you basing the target gravity off of?

Slow the sparge down. I shoot for an hour. That's after I raise the mash temperature by single step decoction. That means I eyeball a third of the mash into a pot that fits on the kitchen stove, bring it to a full boil, and mix it back in.  This raises the temperature of the whole works to 165-170. Then sparge. Kinda makes sense to have what you are washing at the same temperature of the water you're using to wash it.
Either way you should calculate the actual efficiency of your setup, and use that information to adjust the ingredients. This is what I use: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/gravity.html

It sounds almost like you're completely draining you're mlt before you start sparging. Is this the case, and what kind of false bottom/ manifold are you using?  The other option is to adjust you equipment profile to match the efficiency you AR getting out of your mashing regimen if it is consistent.

What actual efficiency/yield are you getting? I average 75-80%. Last batch was 76%.  That's pretty good.  60% is not uncommon. It just means you use a couple dollars worth more grain per batch. No big deal. 

My assumption is that your currently entered efficiency is higher than your actual.

Try using this to calculate your actual efficiency based upon ingredients, volume, and gravity, then plug the result into the software.  http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/gravity.html

If you calculate your ingredients for a target gravity based upon too high an estimated efficiency, you'll fall short every time.

Back