• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

OG always 10 points off! HELP

jaybird789

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a 10 gal Igloo system and have attempted to make 5 batches. I NEVER hit my OG after I fly sparge. My first runnings are typically spot on, they I sparge and my gravity is consistently 10 points off! My water calculations are set for my Beersmith equipment profile and my strike temp is always spot on.

I run my grains twice through the local homebrew shop (making sure to not turn it into flour). I never get stuck sarges, I make sure to stir my grains real good to avoid dough balls and pockets. This is so frustrating.

Beersmith defaults water to grain ratio at 1. I'm going to try 1.3 this time to at least get more volume of higher gravity wort.

I sparge for 30 to 45 mins at 170. Am I a klutz or is there some wisdom out there that can get me on the right track? I use PH stabilizer to get my strike water at target PH as well.

I'm so frustrated, I want to give up. Any help is welcome.
Thanks,

1.  Get some dme.  When you come up short add dme to make up the difference. 

2.  Calculate your efficiency.  Then adjust in you equipment profile, andupdate any eexisting recipes. This will require more grain for each recipe.  About 1.5 lbs, or a couple bucks.

3.  Once you know your efficiency, you can decide if it's worth the trouble to fix. The simplest solution is to llengthen your sparge to 60 -  75 minutes.  Also, look at your lauter design. Is it a false bottom, manifold, or what? Given your lo mash volume and cconsequently large sparge volume, I think you are sparging too quickly.  You are running 30 more volume than most do, in less time than most. So, you are running the water very quickly. 

1 qt/lb is definitely on the low side. 1.3 should be fine. But, know that your first runnings gravity will decrease as a result.  I like 1.5. But, efficiency decreases as mash water volume increases.

Tom, thanks! I'm going to try 1.3 and add 1.5 lbs of 2 row to get a larger first run of higher OG wort. I'll sparge for 50 mins like you reccomend. Do you stir your grain at all during this period or just leave it alone? also, I'm not measuring my boil as accuratly as I should. I just end the boil when the timer goes off. Should I be measuring the boil for the proper amout of "post boil" ? One last question....I'm  a big IPA hop head. any good recieps? Thanks, Jay

Check http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ for an alternative to fly sparging. You might find that Denny's simple system will give you more control.

As usual, Tom's suggestions are on target.  More measurements will give you the information you need to hit your target. If you don't want to go to the trouble of taking a lot of measurements, toss in some DME.

I had the same problem, either low og's or small volumes.
Typically I lose ~ 1 gal to trub between the boil pot and fermenter.
I increased the grain bill using the scale receipe option for 1 gal.
og's are spot on, but I had to move the batch size back 1 gal and
reset the hop weights so I get the right boil vols and hop character

Thank you all. I am goint to take into account all the good tips. Would the concensus be that I am O.K. changing my strike water from 1g to 1.3 to get a higher first running OG? (assuming I'm fly sparging)?

Thank you all.

Jay

Back