• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

belgian strong dark ale

brewnut

Brewer
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for a belgian strong dark ale? I couldn't find one in the recipe's forum.

I have a recipe for a Belgian dark strong ale that I've brewed many times and everyone loves. It tastes very similar to fat tires abby ale. PM me with your e mail and I'll send it to you.

anvilbrew said:
I have a recipe for a Belgian dark strong ale that I've brewed many times and everyone loves. It tastes very similar to fat tires abby ale. PM me with your e mail and I'll send it to you.

Please share with others on the forum :)
R, Slurk

Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) This one needs time..... it gets better and better the longer you leave it in the bottle.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 21.99 l
Post Boil Volume: 18.20 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 19.00 l 
Bottling Volume: 19.00 l
OG: 18.963 Plato
FG: 4.079
Color: 22.4 EBC
IBU: 14.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.5 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                                      Type          #        %/IBU       
4.50 kg              Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC)                Grain        1        64.3 %       
2.50 kg              Pilsner (2 Row) UK (2.0 EBC)                Grain        2        35.7 %       
10.00 g              Challenger [8.12 %] - Boil 120.0 min    Hop          3        9.0 IBUs     
14.00 g              Styrian Goldings [5.19 %] - Boil 15.0 mi Hop          4        3.7 IBUs     
7.00 g                Saaz [4.15 %] - Boil 15.0 min                  Hop          5        1.5 IBUs     
0.25 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)                      Fining        6        -           
1.0 pkg              Belgian Strong Ale (Wyeast Labs #1388) [ Yeast        7        -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 7.00 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperat Step Time   
Mash In          Add 19.76 l of water at 73.6 C          66.7 C        60 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 10.74 l water at 75.6 C

http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

some recipes here using candi syrup. 

Sorry haven't been on for a while here's the recipe:
this is for AG by the way.
8lb pale
2lb munich 10
2lb caramunich
2lb aromatic
1lb clear candy sugar
.3lb dark candy sugar
1.5 oz sterling hops
wyeast belgian dark strong ale, or abby ale

I use a 2 step mash, first at 100 for 25 min then at 145 for 40 min, mash out at 170, then fly sparge.
OG 1.071
FG 1.015
Yes this is a strong ale, oxygenation of of the wort is critical, so swirl, splash, and agitate the wort very well prior to pitching.

1.5 oz sterling after hot break is complete for a 60 min boil.

Back