• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Washing yeast and yeast starter

cpapkt

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently brewed a Killian's clone and fermented with White Labs Burton Ale liquid yeast.  I am going to brew again in 3 weeks and make a Polish Ale (http://homebrewing.org/assets/images/PDF/Polish.pdf.  This recipe will be converted to all grain).  I want to wash and reuse my Burton Ale yeast.  I have seen many videos on washing the yeast. 

Basically I am going to boil then cool a gallon of water.  Then I will sanitize some a half gallon jar and mason jars (probably with one step) to hold the yeast.  After racking the Killians close to a carboy, I will dump my gallon of water into my primary (a bucket) and mix the water with the trub left behind.  Then I will pour the liquid from the primary into a half gallon jar, cover it and let it sit until separation occurs.  Then I will pour that into a couple mason jars leaving the trub behind, cover and let those jars sit until separation occurs.  Then I will pour those jars into more mason jars and should be all set.  All jars, equipment, etc. will be sanitized.  Please let me know if I am missing something. 

The day before I brew I want to pull out one of the mason jars and create a starter.  I will use my Beersmith program to get the correct starter.  It looks like I may need 2 quarts for about 5.5 gallons of my Polish Ale.  Do I need to pour off any liquid that will be on top of my washed yeast? 

I'm a newbie too, but I gotta tell ya man...that's a BIG starter for that much grain. I think 32 oz. would be more than enough. From what I have seen and read on the subject...you will have the yeast in your fridge and it will only have about 2" of water on top of the yeast once it settles out. To pour the entire jar of solution into the starter is common practice...again, what I have read and seen on youtube also.
Just be sure the wort you use for the starter and the yeast solution are VERY close in temperature, so as to not shock or kill the yeast.

First, one step is not a great sanitizer, get some starsan.  With that much handling you need to have perfect sanitatio. I prefer to sterilize equipment when washing yeast. I use a pressure cooker as an autoclave. Every handling step is a chance to introduce infection.  I do the same thing with the water I use. I run it through the pressure cooker and let it cool. I keep 8 or so jars of sterile water on hand most of the time.

Second, yes, you should drain off the liquid from your washed yeast before adding to your starter.  Don't use beersmith. Use Mr Malty.com.  Use the slurry calculator. It should tell you around 125ml or so (about a cup). 

On brewday, place your measured slurry into a container with about 2 cups of wort. Give it a good shake to aerate it and get the yeast mixed in.  Let this starter sit while you brew. Given the starter about a 6 hour head start before you will be ready for it. When it is time to pitch pour the whole thing into your wort, liquid and yeast.

When washing yeast, you are harvesting yeast that is nutrient deprived. It has been starving in the bottom of your fermenter for 2+ weeks with little to no food. When you wash it you add oxygen to the washing fluid (water).  This wakes up the yeast and they begin to deplete what little reserves they have left. Then they die. You should use yeast like this within 2 weeks of harvesting, one week is better, the same day is best.  If you go two weeks make a full starter 24 hours before brewing.   

Don't worry about temp shock. That only applies when cooling down. Going from fridge to starter is just fine.

Tom, in John Palmer's book, he states yeast will store for a few months in the fridge. Of course, sooner is better...but what experiences have you had to help us new guys with this? I was going to harvest some US05 this weekend myself, from an IPA that's going to be around 7%ABV. Was hoping to split it to get an extra couple of batches from it.

I boiled my water, jars, lids and rings last night.  I have 4 pints and a half gallon jar full of boiled water.  I plan to wash the yeast tonight and keep it for next brew day on 4/6.  I planned on preparing a starter before pitching into the wort of the next batch.  I have some pilsen light dme I am going to use for my starter.  I may pick up some star san but haven't yet because it seems as thought it only sanitizes instead of cleaning and sanitizing like one step.  I've often thought about star san but have been using one step since I started brewing with Mr. Beer.

Checked out Mrmalty.com and it looks like I need about 100 ml of yeast which turns out to be a little less than a half of cup (found an online millileter to cup conversion site).

gwapogorilla said:
Tom, in John Palmer's book, he states yeast will store for a few months in the fridge. Of course, sooner is better...but what experiences have you had to help us new guys with this? I was going to harvest some US05 this weekend myself, from an IPA that's going to be around 7%ABV. Was hoping to split it to get an extra couple of batches from it.

Without knowing the specific passage you are referring to I cant really respond to Palmer's book.  However, Palmer and Jamil have been consistent on every brewstrong episode, and Chris White / Jamil reiterate in "Yeast", that the viability of harvested slurry, specifically, drops off very fast.  This is in contrast to commercially prepared liquid yeasts, which are packaged at the peak of yeast health.  Further these are also packaged using proprietary methods and formulations to maximize longevity.

Perhaps the Palmer passage you are referencing was with regards to commercially packaged liquid yeasts?  If that were the case, then I would agree the longevity of these is on the order of 6 months or so. 

According to every published source I'm aware of the viability of slurry drops off at about 10% per week.  So, after 2 weeks you are down around 25% dead yeast.  For a typical ale pitch of 200 billion cells, that's 50 billion dead cells introduced on day 0.  Anything more than that, is more than I want in my beer...just waiting to autolyze and start tasting funny. 

I re-pitch from slurry to improve my beer, not to save money or time.  Healthy, clean, re-pitched slurry makes better beer than a starter from a fresh vial, which in turn makes better beer than a plain vial, which in turn makes better beer than a packet of dry yeast (though some may argue this point---ME homebrewer, specifically). 

So, when I'm in the mood and have a series of beers lined up week-after-week, I will plan a sequence of beers around a specific strain (WLP001/002/500, etc) and brew from lower gravities to higher gravities every two weeks, repitching from one to the next.  After generation #2, typically I can usually graduate to every week.  The fermentation generally speeds up significantly, such that its done within 3-4 days, and I can crash for 3-4 days, and transfer the clear beer to a keg within 7 days of pitching.  Then I can repitch VERY healthy yeast into the next batch. 

In these cases, I will generally transfer the old beer to a keg the night before, and then wash the slurry immediately afterwards.  I let the washed slurry settle overnight and decant the morning of brewday.  I measure my slurry and pitch into a 500 ml starter to bring the yeast out of dormancy, and revitalize them. I have followed this sequence week-after-week for up to 7 batches...though I know others who have gone much farther.  By the time I reach batch 7, I'm tired of the same yeast strain, and generally have too much beer hanging around waiting to be drunk.  I have 6 kegs, and 4 primary fermenters, and enough bottles for another 5 gallons of beer.  I also have 8 6-gallon, and 3 3-gallon carboys---but I don't use those much anymore.  When the bottles, kegs, and all 4 primaries are full that means I have 55 gallons of beer in the house....its time for some drinkin!  By that point, I'm tired of brewing and other projects need some attention. 

In all honesty, I don't wash my slurry much anymore.  My transfer methods now are good enough that I don't end up with much trub from the kettle.  And, I only reuse slurry under near ideal conditions (1-2 weeks from pitching), so I have very little dead yeast to remove.  The last couple of times that I actually went to the trouble I didn't have ANY undesirable material settle out.  So, the extra handling just wasn't worth the risk of introducing an infection when there was nothing appreciable to remove. 

cpapkt said:
I may pick up some star san but haven't yet because it seems as thought it only sanitizes instead of cleaning and sanitizing like one step.  I've often thought about star san but have been using one step since I started brewing with Mr. Beer.

Direct from the manufacturer's website (http://www.ecologiccleansers.com/one-step.php):

Cleanser or Sanitizer?

One Step is not a certified sanitizer as defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Obtaining that designation for use in promotional literature and packaging is, unfortunately, an expensive and time-consuming process that includes ongoing review by the EPA. Companies that obtain or use that designation typically invest a significant amount of capital or use another company’s product through a process called “sub-registration.” However, unless you are operating a commercial brewery, winemaking operation, restaurant or similar business, you probably don’t need a designated sanitizer.

So, it may work okay for you, but I prefer to use tested, qualified sanitizers for my beer.  From their description, one-step is it an oxygen based cleanser---ie similar to oxyclean.  oxyclean is what I use for cleaning.  You will find that to be substantially cheaper than one-step in bulk. 

If you are going to step up to the plate of yeast-washing, you should step up to the plate of industrial, certified sanitizers.  Your sanitation practices are magnified by propagating slurry from batch to batch.  Any infection in batch zero will continue to grow into batch 1, 2, 3 etc...becoming a higher percentage of the total colony with every batch.  So, while your first batch (previously your ONLY batch) may taste fine, batch 3 or 4 might suddenly start to taste tart or sour or just plain weird or funky.  What is the point, if its going to make worse beer (or risk making worse beer)?

Thank you Tom, I know it took quite a bit of time to type all of that out. In John's book, it actually is in reference to yeast washing. But, John DOES change his mind, and he freely admits when he is wrong. Example is bittering units from hops...once thought to be influenced by gravity of the wort. Now they are said to be independent of the gravity. 

(though some may argue this point---ME homebrewer, specifically).

I never meant to argue against your point. I'm sure that you are right. All I'm trying to say is that Fermentis brand dry yeast results in a very satisfactory beer. I would never use some generic brewing yeast packets, though I do see them for sale so I guess someone buys them.

I may pick up some star san but haven't yet because it seems as thought it only sanitizes instead of cleaning and sanitizing like one step.

Ditch the one-step and get yourself some PBW and StarSan. Use products that were developed specifically for brewing. The PBW will clean anything your beer leaves behind, including beerstone.  I keep diluted StarSan in a spray bottle and mist everything that may come into contact post-boil.

Since I started using those two products a few years ago I haven't even thought about using anything else. They work perfectly.

Maine Homebrewer said:
(though some may argue this point---ME homebrewer, specifically).

I never meant to argue against your point. I'm sure that you are right. All I'm trying to say is that Fermentis brand dry yeast results in a very satisfactory beer. I would never use some generic brewing yeast packets, though I do see them for sale so I guess someone buys them.

I know...I just enjoy yanking people's chain.  It's all in good fun.  8)

For California Ale it makes very little difference.  It is such a clean "get out of the way" yeast, anyway.  I think there is a subtle difference and prefer the WLP001, but to do a direct compare requires a carefully designed experiment to eliminate other possible process difference impacts.  So, the differences are arguably due to handling rather than manufacturing.

I like to keep my processes the same, so I use liquid at all times, to avoid mistakes of less frequently used processes. 

For yeasts other than Cal Ale, where the ester yeast character is more prominent, there is a definite difference and I strongly prefer the liquid even when there is still a choice (english, irish, etc).  In other cases, obviously there is no choice other than liquid.  Again, I don't want to be vacillating between different processes (dry and liquid yeast)...so, if I'm going to have to use liquid SOME times, I'm going to use liquid ALL the time.

And...I totally agree regarding Fermentis.  I've used a few others...including random crap that came with the kit.  Talk about frustrating!  doesn't always start, tastes like crap, inconsistent flavors from packet to packet.  If I had to go back, I would buy 3-4 strains of SafAle in bulk. 

I used dry for 5 or 6 years before switching to liquid 6 or 7 years ago.  But, my LHBS is 15 miles away and has every readily available strain from Fermentis, White Labs, and WYeast.  They even get large quantities of the platinum strains when they come out. I can even buy most bugs without having to place a special order.  So, my situation is certainly not the same as someone who has to order everything off the internet and pay shipping / ice-pack fees for WLP001.  I would have a much larger and more advanced yeast lab if that were the case. 

As it is, I have two stir plates, 6 flasks, about 20 canning jars (split 50/50 between sterile water and starter wort), and a pressure canner.  I used to freeze and archive yeasts, but that was a lot of work...when in most cases I can drive down the road and buy a vial of WLP530 today.  I will only archive platinum strains, now.  Just so I can use them any time of the year I choose...instead of on Chris Whites schedule. 

Back