• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

graphical mash designer

Kaiser

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi BeerSmith,

I often do decotion mashed and would love to see a graphical mash designer in BeerSmith.

I'd like to be able to enter the rise times for the decotion, the rest time(s) for the decoction and the boil time for the decoctions. Currently I'm using BeerSmith to calculate the decoction amounts, but have to do the scheduling of the mash program on a sheet of paper.

Thanks.

Kaiser,
 Are you just looking for a graphical display of the decoction profile or are you looking for more?

Brad

I'm looking for more.

When I pull a decoction I heat it up to 72C and let it convert. This conversion takes 15-20 min. Then I bring it to a boil. The boil may take 15-30 (or more min). While this is happening the main mash is sitting at one of the rests. I'd like to know when to pull the decoction assuming that I can heat some X deg/min, hold saccrification for Y min, heat again with X deg/min boil for Z min and want the main mash to sit at it's rest for N min.

Does this sound to complicated? Maybe I have to use a more mathematical expression.

Thanks

It does sound pretty complicated.  It sounds like you are doing two separate mashes - converting one while the other is at rest.

This would require two separate mash timelines for the two separate mashes.  While certainly not impossible, I don't currently have that kind of detail in the mashing system.

Most people will pull a decoction and heat it to boiling then remix.  As far as the heating, we do have provisions for temperature mash steps that have heating timelines associated with them.

Brad

well, traditional decoctions are complicated  :-[. And yes, there are 2 mashes going on at the same time. There is also a benefit to boiling the decotcion for a specific amout of time (more carmelisation when boiled longer). And since you don't want to keep the main mash at it's rest longer than planned, there is some calculating necessary.

But I can understand that there are only a few brewers who would really use this feature.

Kai

Back