• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

LOST ALL RECIPES! Please Help!

Brewer77

Apprentice
Reaction score
Okay.  Running Windows 7.  Just had a hard drive that needed replaced with the OS on it.  BeerSmith2 was on it to.  Reinstalled on a new drive and installed BeerSmith2  again.  Plugged the old drive in to transfer the recipes over to the new one.  Hit export files and came up with an error.  And everything is just gone without a trace!  The bsmx. files are gone.  No number 1, 2, or 3.  Can someone, anyone, please help me with this?  I've looked over the forums and haven't found anything quite like this. 
Thank you so much. 

If you have the old drive slaved to the new OS. Use explorer and navigate to the BS folder in documents and you will likely find the .bsmx files. From there just copy them into the new BS folder

If they are not there, I'm lost

Toy4Rick

Yeah, it's slaved to the new OS.  Do you mean just looking in the my computer from the start menu (list of drives) and searching on the old drive?  That's what I had done originally.  What do you mean by using IE?  Internet Explorer?  I'm not sure how to look at files in that manor.  Thanks for responding to me!  Much appreciated! 

Took a fresh look at things.  Found them hidden well away on the old drive.  I moved the entire folder onto the new C drive desktop.  The import wizard isn't allowing me to switch them over though?  Still working on it.  If I get it I'll post back.  WOW I was about to lose it! 

Glad you found the old folder.  If it were me, I would shut down BS, go into the new BS folder using windows explorer and rename recipes.bsmx to recipes.sav, then navigate to the old directory and copy the recipes.bsmx into the new directory then restart BS and they should be there.  I have never used the import/export function so I can't help there

Good luck
Rick

Thanks a lot Rick.  I'll give that a shot.  As the bsmx. file is no longer available I can only open it with the repice1 file.  There all intact though.  Just as long as I save every time I close the program.  Thanks again.  I'll try and work on it tomorrow. 

Back