• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings from Snowy New Hampshire

Oginme

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
New to home brewing.  I received a kit for Christmas and brewed two standard recipes before altering a third one.  (As a I work doing product development, I couldn't resist.)  Anyway, I started designing my own recipes after doing a lot of reading and research (when you do it for a living, it becomes second nature), just finished bottling my first designed recipe (Irish Red) and started a Strong Scotch Ale.

At this point, I'm doing BIAB recipes with a base of extract malts.

It's certainly an enjoyable way to spend the winter months (and the spring months, as I stare out at 5 ft snow banks...)

I assume you've read about lagers, and the lower fermentation temperatures that they require.  I don't know about your abode, but in these New England winters I'm able to keep my basement at happy lager brewing temperatures.  As a result I am able to brew some fine pilsners.  Just something to think about.

Yes, looking forward to it next fall.  I have been doing ales, since they go nicely in my sauna (used for starting seedlings, and now ales), but I am planning on a few lagers in November and December!  I would get started earlier, but fall is Fair time and I don't want to have to juggle scheduling conflicts.

Back