• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Iodine test?

djavet

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi!

One day after my first AG brew (APA) I notice that I completely forgot to make a iodine test !
My mash SG, fermenter volume, etc. are all in the range from recipe.

So my newbie AG question is: do I have to make a test indeed that my mash gravity id good?
Or it is to be sure that my mash is completed before the runoff (i am luck on this first one!)?

Do you do always a iodine test?

Thx fir your feedback.
Dom

When you are new it's a good idea to do the iodine test a couple of times.  One: to make sure your mash is working the way it should, and two :  so you know how to do the test. But after that, it isn't necessary for every mash. I only use an iodine test as a troubleshooting step when something else is wrong and I'm trying tto figure out exactly what.

If you mash for 60 minutes and your mash temp is not at one extreme or the other, then the iodine test will come back negative anyway.

Not necessarily after 60.  Wheat, for example, can take longer depending on malster, protein content and even year. It's a simple test to perform so i do one for every mash.

Mark

I never test.

Using reasonably fresh malt, temps within range and water that works, you should have conversion after an hour. The only time I used it was to check to see if I was getting conversion earlier to see if I could shorten my brew day. I was actually getting it around 50 minutes so it's just not worth it to shorten. Leave it at an hour and away you go.

I work in a local craft brewery and we always check. We sometimes don't appear to get conversion after an hour but when we vorlauf and check from that sample of wort that has been circulated, we always have it in spades.

Thx for your feedbacks . In beersmith, the mash time is 45min not 60 on most of the profiles.
Any reason? Is that too short?

Back