• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Problem reading gravity

schwartzr33

New Forum Member
Reaction score
During my brew today I measured the gravity after collecting my wort (BIAB) and before boiling. I got a reading of 1.057 (that is the corrected reading that I got using Beersmith), giving me a reasonable mash efficiency of 69%. After boiling 7.4 gal for 60 minutes, I chilled the beer, then let it sit for 15 minutes to let the trub settle. Then I drained the wort using the built in valve at the bottom of the pot. I measured the gravity using the last bit of wort left in the pot. I got a reading of 1.059. Beersmith says my OG should be 1.067 (assuming a 12% boil-off rate). Obviously, either my pre-boil measurement or my OG measurement were incorrect. Do you think it is possible that by letting the pot sit for 15 minutes, then draining from the bottom of the pot, the heavier/higher gravity wort drained out from underneath the lighter/lower gravity wort? Therefore when I measured my OG using the last bit of wort in the pot I got an artificially low reading. What do you think?

Hi, first post but I've been doing this for a while so I have a couple ideas.  1.  7.4gal is a lot of pre-boil wort for a typical 5gal batch(unless you're planning another volume).  Make sure your batch size on beersmith is in line with the volume you have(5gal at 1.067 diluted to 6gal instead of 5 could be what happened).  2.  Wort should be homogenous in density(dissolved solutes), for our purposes, I don't think that's it, proteins and other non-dissolved products shouldn't count.  3.  You may have measured wrong at first. 

Back