• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Basic RIMS setup.

dmack973

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I would like to put together a basic RIMS setup and was looking for equipment advice. I have built a three tiered brewing bench. I have a 10g Blichmann Boilermaker kettle with the button louvre false bottom that I use to mash in. I have a 10g polarware kettle that I brew in and also use to heat the water for my HLT which is a 10G round rubbermaid drink dispenser. I sparge with a rotating sparge arm bought from N brewer. I have 2 bayou burners. Also have a shirron plate chiller to cool the wort that is gravity fed into my fermenter. I think that about covers it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I just finished my HERM.
I found the following websites insightful.
http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/
http://www.wortomatic.com/

I converted my 10gal Igloo into an electric HLT controlled by PID. My MLT circulates thru a Stainless steel coil in the HLT to keep the mash where I want it.
It all works remarkable well.

Hopefully this helps.

I also use a HERM system and and am quite pleased with it. I'm a cheap skate, so I didn't bother with a PID controller. I drive my 4800 Watt electric water heater element with 240 V when I want to get my water bath up to temp quickly, then switch it to 120 V - controlled by a Johnson digital controller. It works great for multi-step temperature mashing or infusion mashing. I get a delightfully clear wort and can hit and hold the desired step temperatures. You could use a similar digital controller with a water heater element in RIMS. A 4800 W water heater element draws 20 amps at 240 V and 10 amps at 120 V (1200 Watts), so it's within the specified operating range for the controller.

I went with HERMS because I was concerned that the high temperature of the heating element in RIMS would denature enough enzymes to extend my mash - I keep the water bath below 160 until mash out to be gentle on enzymes. That may be excessive, but it works well and reduces the attention required during mashing.

Back