• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Additional data fields for hop ingredients

graymoment

Brewer
Reaction score
The current data allowed to be entered for hops are:
  • Origin
  • Inventory
  • Price
  • Type
  • Form
  • Alpha %
  • Beta %
  • Hop storage index %
  • Notes

My suggestion is to add additional data fields that are <a href="http://www.usahops.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=hop_info&pageID=8">commonly tracked</a>, many of which are helpful for measuring aroma/flavor additions. Some fields that I would suggest are:
  • Alpha-Beta Ratio
  • Cohumulone (% of alpha acids)
  • Total Oils (Ml/100 grams dried hops)
  • Myrcene (as % of total oils)
  • Caryophyllene (as % of total oils)
  • Humulene (as % of total oils)
  • Farnesene (as % of total oils)
  • Possible substitutions (linking to other hops in the ingredients database)

For those of us that mostly use hops for flavor/aroma contribution rather than bitterness, information such as Total Oil, Cohumulone %, and the % certain hydrocarbons to total oil (Myrcene, Humulene, Farnesene, etc.) are as important to track as other data points such as alpha acid% or beta acid %. Having separate fields will allow this information to be sorted and worked with, as opposed to putting that information in the notes.

Are there plans to add these fields in the near future? Does anyone else want these fields?

I agree. Also having some default values there would be useful for lazy people like me. Reviewing Cohumulone levels is something I want to keep an eye on this year while looking at brew notes and tasting. Obviously Beersmith would be able to keep track of the amount of hop oils boiled off better than my ability to scan multiple hop additions. Perhaps some type of graph or report.

I'm +1 for adding those fields. Quite a lot of useful information.

Even if the information isn't readily available for every hop, I think there'll be a time where this will be common.

Just wondering if any of these fields for hop descriptions will be added in the next update.

back from the dead, but really, these features SHOULD be added already.

I bought BeerSmith yesterday, after using Brewtarget for so long, and yeah, where do I add cohumulone?
Nowhere

I thought BeerSmith was the software that professionals use?

Back