• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

what to do?

happy hillbilly

Master Brewer
Reaction score
ole happy here. I jest love that Tumbler autumn brown from sierra nevada so I checked out a bunch of clone recipes and made me a batch. Well it calls for a little bit of smoked malt.I used .375 lbs. in a 8 gallon batch. when ya take a taste the first thing you taste is a decent brown ale then it turns over to taste like a big hit of liquid smoke. I tried to blend it 50-50 with a real good porter i got and you kin still taste that smoky flavor. I might have to git rid of this one but i hope not cause thats alot of work for nuttin. I'm gonna throw out the rest of the pound of smoked malt and not use that anymore but I was wonderin if anybody ever had this happen and what did ya do?thanks n Happy Brewin

I'm not sure that smoke is a flavor that can be covered up. It's like scorching a pot of stew. Once that flavor of something burnt is there, it's there.  Smoke is a more pleasant flavor than scorching the bottom of a pot, but it's still the flavor of something being burned. You can't get rid of it.

I wouldn't give up and toss the smoked grain. Just use less. A half ounce or ounce next time instead of six. A hint of smoke could be nice in a brown ale, though I personally don't think I'd like it and wouldn't take the chance on a full batch. I like smoked salmon and use liquid smoke when I make my own bbq sauce, but I feel myself making funny faces when I think about putting smoke into beer.

Not knowing anything about using smoked malts, I've gotta ask; could the smokey character possibly fade over time? I ask because it'd be a shame to toss a batch that, with perhaps some age, could turn into a real gem.

Back