• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

blanketing beer

K

KernelCrush

Been transferring to keg under a co2 blanket, until the last few.  Now just transferring under o2 and purge keg headspace with co2 when transfer is done.  Cant imagine o2 pickup in the minutes it takes to transfer 5 gallons.  Dont we have to 'force' o2 into solution before pitching?  Anyway I see zero difference between the 2 methods.  Anybody have different results?

The beer is probably releasing Co2 as it transfers creating it's own blanket so the surface doesn't really pick up oxygen, it's the splashing that creates more surface area of oxygen to enter. So as long as the siphon hose is buried your probably good.

I haven't done any experiments yet though. One day When I have 10 gallons perhaps I will transfer into 1 keg that is prefilled with Co2 through the dip tube, and the other with the top open. My beer isn't up to that level of perfection yet though.

I have always ("always" is relative.. the attached photo is my 2nd AG batch) thought the same thing, so I have been purging my secondary fermenter using the gases blown off from my primary.  I felt pretty clever when I thought of it, but I have no way of knowing if it made a whit of difference.

It is a clever use of expelled CO2 that would have never crossed my mind but I would use a tank.

Back