• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1.5 gallons short with 2.1

Invision

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I've done 2 batches since I bought Beersmith 2.1, my issue is that I am short 1.5 gallons for each of these batches. Before I did not have this problem. I use a keggle for my mash tun and i do 45 to 60 minutes fly sparge (I do all grain). Has anyone else had this problem or is it just a matter of adjusting the boil off to 2.5 gallons? any suggestions would be awesome.

At what point are you finding that your volumes are off?  If the volume is correct going into the boil pot but you're ending up with 1.5 too low wort into the fermenter then the issue is probably in your equipment setup values for boil off and "loss to trub and chiller".  Are you having Beersmith calculate your boil volume?

I use beersmith for almost all of it but the taste  :). I currently have it set up with 1.5 gallon boil off and only a .25 gallon loss in trub, my chillers is just a copper coil so I'm not losing any there. I think I need to adjust my boil off to 2.5 and trub to 1 gallon and I should be alright? But like I said, I haven't changed the way I am using beersmith and before I upgraded I never had this problem and I had made 10+ batches...

Have you verified that the volume into the boil pot is correct?  I.e. it matches what Beersmith says it should be?  I think most people boil off between 1 and 1.5 gallons/hour (I have mine set at .9 gallons/hour) so I would be surprised if you are really boiling off 2.5 gallons/hour.    That said, if your volume into the boil pot matches what Beersmith says it should be then I would increase your boil-off in the equipment profile  to increase the total expected boil-off to make up the volume you're short by.  This will of course increase the amount of wort going into your boil kettle.

I think I will just boil some water and actually see how much I lose. if it matches then I will have to adjust the water to grain ratio maybe? or just the Mash Tun loss?

Back