• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anyone? How to use/prepare my current yeast cake for a next batch?

Slurk

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have a pils in the primary at the moment and would like to use the yeast cake (yeast culture WLP 838 - South German Lager) for a next batch. How to proceed?

Regards,
Slurk

I jusst pour my next batch on top of it, right after I move the prev beer to secondary.

This works great unless you're going from a hoppy beer to something subtle. I often wash yeast if going from an IPA to a different style otherwise you can transfer some bitterness.

Thanks bigchicken!
Yesterday I washed the yeast cake 3 times. This morning I made a yeast starter of it. Now I am on my way home and rather exited to see if things are working well. I need the starter tomorrow. Brew day :)
Regards,
Slurk

Everything went well on Friday, the yeast starter worked excellent. When the starter was inactive and gravity low, I washed the starter and made a new starter on Friday evening. Compared to Thursday the amount of yeast had doubled. Unfortunately I had to postpone brewday by one day and decided to go for an experiment. When the yeast starter was inactive and gravity low, I washed the starter again and made a new yeast starter. Today was brew day and I was amazed by the amount of yeast activity and overall development of yeast in the yeast starter. Compared to Thursday (my start date) I now had 3.5 to 4 times more yeast.
I pitched for 1.5 hours ago, areated thoroughly and I am really surprised by the fact that the fermentation is so active at the moment ???

R,
Slurk

Back