• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is this calculation wrong,...or I am reading it incorrectly

[email protected]

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there,

Okay, so I was brewing my first all-grain the other day. Finally managed to get all the gear, and get set up, so set off to do a Robust Porter. I put the ingredient list into BeerSmith (bought a ingredient kit of my LHBS). Now, my grain bill was around 5Kg, but as you can see from the BeerSmith screen shot, it tells me (if I am reading it right) that I need 6.35l to mash. Having not really done this before I don't know much better, so off I went. Mash looked pretty thick and paste like, and I have subsequently read that I should be using about 2.6L per Kg of grain. Ended up with an OG of about 1.079,..which is way high.

My question then, if why is BeerSmith showing such a low ratio of water to grain. Is this a bug, or am I misreading the page? Help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-07 at 4.54.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-07 at 4.54.48 PM.png
    147 KB · Views: 416
Hi,
  I'm not sure how you got this thick a mash.  The default mash profile for "Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out" in BeerSmith uses 1.25 quarts/lb of mash.  That does not change when you apply it to a recipe so I don't know how you got to such a low level without changing it.

Brad

Hi Brad,

I think I have figured this out. As I am in New Zealand and brew in metric, I have set all my values as KGs and Litres under settings. When I went into "edit step" under the mash profile to have a look what was under the hood it was showing a water / grain ration of 1.183 L per Kg. This would be correct if it was L to pounds, as 1.183 litres is 1.24 qts. So I think the software isn't converting this amount to reflect the change from pounds to Kgs. I haven't messed with it,...I'm not smart enough to edit settings.  I have however now changed this to 2.6L per Kg of grain, which is now giving me a reading of around 14 kgs which sounds a lot better and closer to the mark for a grain bill of 5.37kg.

Great software package by the way, as a newbie to brewing this is making brew day both easy, and fun!

R,

Damon
Wellington
New Zealand

Back