• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile usage

lcat

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand how the Water Profile works without much success.....to my way of thinking I should be able to put in my water stats...pick the one I want to match and the answer should be what I need to do go get there if possible....but that's not the way it seems to work so does anyone have a pointer to explain how I tie my water into a recipe and figure out what I need to do?    regards...

First thing is we need  to know your water for brewing report

I'm having the same issue. Or.. I can use EZ water calculator but I wonder if Beersmith 2 has similar function as EZ, which basically just let me know what I should add to hit the target. The water section in Beersmith 2 makes no sense to me.

The water profiler is a pretty easy tool to use in BeerSmith. You just have to setup the base water profile that you'll use to compare and adjust for the water profiles. That's no different than the other water calculators out there.

Click the buttons to add the base and target profiles. Make sure you input the total volume you want to treat. I.E. If it's just the mash water, use that volume amount.
Click the "Calculate Best Additions" button.
The mineral additions will be displayed.
The amount at the bottom of the list is the difference between your target and the source + mineral additions.

From here you have some choices available.

If you want to dilute the water, add that profile and amount, using the "dilute with" button.  Recalculate the water additions.

You can save the mineral additions to the target profile. This will assume that you are always using the same base water and the same volume.
You can also save the mineral additions as their own unique profile. This has the advantage of leaving the target profile empty, for use later. This is useful for profiles associated with specific recipes or water volumes.
In both these cases, when you ADD water to a recipe, you'll be prompted to also add the minerals to the recipe. This works best if you have accurate water volume, in the profile.

Once the minerals are added to a recipe, they are treated as individual ingredients. Meaning, if you change the recipe water profile, the minerals won't change at the same time. You have to delete those, individually. To get minerals into the recipe, you have to use the add water button. Substituting water doesn't change the mineral list or import the new profile.

There are some dynamic links needed for how BS treats water. It needs the ability to adjust individual salts in the profiler. It needs to change the recipe amounts according to which profile is chosen. It needs the ability to separate mash and sparge additions. Right now, it can't do these things.

It would be better if you could do this in the recipe though.  Be able to add a base water then a target water and have the mineral additions added for you automatcially.

Back