• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

carboy handle

K

KernelCrush

If any one uses these I would stop.  A former wine maker gave me several carboys with these attached.  The neck of the carboy are full of stress fractures.  He probably used them when the carboys were full, but mine I headed for the dumpster anyway.  These ones

Attachments

• carboy handle.jpg
    carboy handle.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 865
Interesting, I just got my first handle. I didn't even know that glass was capable of stress fractures. I just figured it would let go all at once.

Here is what I am seeing.

Attachments

• CARBOY.jpg
    CARBOY.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,303
Interesting.  I wonder if perhaps the carboys are the culprit in this case?  I have heard of some poor quality carboys coming from Mexico.

On the other hand I am inclined to agree that use of these handles on full carboys scares me a little.  I have done it in the past with never a problem and none of my carboys exhibit the fractures that you show,  but I pretty much exclusively use the Brewhauler straps now when moving full carboys.  I feel much better using them, and the straps also provide a bit of a cushion if you are setting the carboy down on concrete.      Still have the handles installed to but use only when carboys are empty.

To my recollection there was never any instruction or warning that came with the handles as to their proper use.

Brian.

Thats possible too...but I chucked them all.  How do you know where your glass was made...of course unless the brew shop tells you its Italian?  Ive seen a few online shops that say dont use on full carboys, or support them from the bottom, etc.  I been beginning the transition to plastic buckets.  Easier to carry and I can resist the temptation to stare at my glass fermenter these days. When its done its done.  Pretty nice to have a spigot on every vessel too. 

I have been using brew haulers ( a series of nylon straps and a plastic buckle) as a replacement for the handle and it has been working out really well.  I would recommend it that product if you are looking for another option.

I have one carboy.  It has that handle on it.
If you notice how heavy a full carboy is, and if you've lifted a carboy by that handle and noticed the angle that the thing lifts at, you can see that it puts a lot of stress on the neck of the carboy.

I don't use my carboy much ( not in over a year ) so I haven't thought about it much but I know that anytime you carry a full carboy you should be supporting it from the bottom.
Same with any large heavy glass container full of liquid.

The handle is mostly useful for an empty carboy or as a grab point up top if you have an arm under the bottom.

I have these handles on all my 5- and 6.5-gallon carboys. I carry them by the handles ONLY when empty. I use Brew-Haulers when full - just seems safer (easier on the back with two people also).

Ditto on brew haulers.  And I've switched to plastic Better Bottles for primary as well. 

After reading this topic I carried my carboy by picking it up from the bottom.  What a pain in the ...  I just need to get my brewing area setup to where I do not need to move the carboy  ;D

That is my goal as well. Pump into fermenter, drain into kegs.

If you tilt them with one forearm under the bottom with your hand gripping the lower edge and the other at the neck it makes them a bit less painful to walk with.  Undrilled stopper in the top with your thumb over it.  Brewhauler even better.

Brewhaulers are definitely the way to go.  And, they're pretty cheap if you find them at the right place. 

Like I said, I don't really use those anymore, but I would say that the best way to haul them that I've heard of is in a plastic milk crate.

Intereswting to hear. I have used them on both 5 & 6 gallon carboys both full and empty. I have been using the same carboys for @ 20 years and never have had one crack or show signs of the problem...I even have one carboy that has been in the family for over 50 years that was a water carboy in Mexico. But the possibility is plausable looking at the function. I suspect cheap glass carboys were more the culprit than anything else.

SharpsRifle said:
Like I said, I don't really use those anymore, but I would say that the best way to haul them that I've heard of is in a plastic milk crate.

+1

Back