• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Reinstall the operational system

DanielOlivieri

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'll reinstall my operational system and I have 2 doubts:

1 - How I can reuse my key activation;
2 - How I make backup of my recipes, profiles, inventory, etc.

Thank you very much
Daniel Olivieri

I have the same question, except in an after-the-fact manner.  I had to re-install my OS (Windows 7) a week ago, re-installed BeerSmith 2, and copied all of my backed-up files from the "documents" folder into the appropriate place.  However, my inventory, recipes, all of my preferences and imported ingredients were gone.  I was able to import my recipes by opening the recipe file and copying/pasting, but there are no longer any customized columns.  My inventory and custom-added ingredients are also still missing. 

I assume I could probably go through the process of importing everything from the backed-up files, one-by-one, but does anyone know if there's a quicker way?

I think I have figured out my issue, and can probably answer the original poster's questions.

1 - Yes, you should be able to reuse the key.  Make a note of it before reinstalling.
2 - When you reinstall the OS, if it's Windows (Windows 7 in my case), it should create a folder called "Windows.Old" in your root drive.  Within that folder, you will find backups of all your files from before the OS reinstall.  After reinstalling the OS, reinstall BeerSmith 2, and before using it, navigate to <drive>\Windows.Old\Users\<username>\My Documents\BeerSmith2  and COPY all of the contents into your new folder, <drive>\Users\<username>\My Documents\BeerSmith2.  Then, when you start BeerSmith, it should have all of your old files available to it. 

Good luck!

Back