• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Managing data locations

560sdl

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I used to have my data on a drive that was synced between my office and home laptop.  That service changed and now I want to have the files on dropbox.  My home files are already there and are the most current.  My office files are about two weeks old.  When trying to move them over it said that the existing data in the folder would be deleted.  This would be bad.  Is there a work around?

This area is tricky.  I believe that BS is still designed to be a one computer, default config application.

Trying to get fancy with your data files will invariably lead to frustration.  I say this from experience.

I tried using Google Drive as a data drive for BS, so that I could have my data/config files available on my desktop computer and also the same data/config files available on my laptop when I am helping with a brew at the Club Brewhouse.  Well, it doesn't work well at all.

It will work the first few times, but eventually, a file conflict will occur and BS has no way to deal with it.  Some of the data files will be saved with a (2).xlms suffix, and these get lost.

I have been able to host my data files on a regular network drive, and as long as I close down BS on the unused computer and never have it open at two places at the same time, it works for me.

Bottom line, BS is a standalone workstation application.

The cloud storage feature can be helpful, but this only accommodates recipe data files.  Equipment profiles and Ingredient lists are not hosted on the cloud.  Which can leave you with different profiles on your different workstations.

I am thrilled with what BS does.  I have learned to live with the quirks and limitations and I am thankful for the work Brad has invested in this program.

I am a happy BS user.

Back