• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to all grain

TheCarouser

Apprentice
Reaction score
What is the difference between single infusion and temperature mash?  I'm preparing to do my first all grain and not sure what mash to choose.  Also, what does this mean?  Batch sparge with two steps (1.09 gal, 3.75 gal) of 168 F water.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

TheCarouser said:
What is the difference between single infusion and temperature mash?  I'm preparing to do my first all grain and not sure what mash to choose.  Also, what does this mean?  Batch sparge with two steps (1.09 gal, 3.75 gal) of 168 F water.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Single infusion is where the water is added all at once and held at a certain temperature during the whole mash time. Temperature mash (and this one I'm a bit sketchy on, so take with a bit of caution, I'm still learning too) I believe what you might be referring to is called 'step temperature mashing' where you add a portion of the water at a certain temperature, wait a bit, then to raise the mash temp, you add more water at a higher temp, etc., thereby 'stepping up' your mash temperature.
Batch sparge in two steps is where you add additional water in two different steps, at a certain temperature. Short version is: drain your mash water in to your kettle, add the first step (1.09 gal), drain that into the kettle, add the second step (3.75 gal), then drain that into the kettle, giving you your full boil volume. (Sometimes you have to add a bit of 'top up' water, to achieve the full amount)
CAUTION: THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO IN BETWEEN, I'm just giving you the abbreviated version.
Check this out http://beersmith.com/batch-sparging/ for a more detailed explanation

If you don't already have it, get yourself a copy of Palmer's "How to Brew" and read it through..... it helped me immensely.

I am about to do a two step batch sparge this morning myself, but I try to do a single infusion most times.
My first all grain I did a double decoction mash (scoop out a quantity of mash water, boil it, add it back, repeat).....wow, talk about over reaching my knowledge and experience.... not to mention there are very few brews that do a decoction mash anymore period. :eek:

Check the Mash options in BeerSmith. You'll see a number of variations on "Infusion". Select a double infusion then open the details for that mash and look at the multiple water additions. It'll be more obvious than a narrative explanation. Repeat for a temperature mash. You'll see that it assumes you're heating the mash, not water added to the mash, to hit one or more rest temperature rests.

John Palmer has an on-line version of "How to Brew" at howtobrew.com. It may not be the latest version.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply.  I greatly appreciate it.  I bought John P's book.  You were right, I think this is going to help out greatly.  I belong to a local brew club and got to see the steps of mashing this morning.  Very cool process. 

Back