• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

StewSon

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone at home and out there in Brewland. My name is Stew and I am a devotee of most things fermented . . . Cider, mead, wine, brine dill pickles, sauerkraut, brine pickled onions and of course my number one zymological product is home brewed beer.
I began brewing “all grain” 5 years ago by malting my own barley . . . I did this because I wanted to understand the entire beer making process. Plus I enjoy doing for myself and I am of a thrifty nature. Immediately after finishing that first batch of malt; I understood that I didn't want to malt grain. I couldn't control the temperature and humidity well enough to modify the barley properly.

There is such a huge glut of information on the net that I was able to determine a brewing process that suited my situation and my technique is decidedly low tech. I have built, scrounged or purchased second hand, almost all my brewing and beer equipment. I do primarily 5 gallon batches but have the capability to do 10 gallon. I use a three tier gravity system in my garage since I'm low tech and don't like lifting 100lb kegles of water. Since I don't care for bottling, my favourite beer apparatus is my 3 tap kegerator and the saddest sound in the world is the “sssssss” you hear when the keg is empty and you don't have anything ready on deck.

I'm part of a great local brewing community, the SOBs (Southern Ontario Brewers). They have become an integral part of my brewing because they are so helpful. I hope to extend that community to include the folks at BeerSmith.

All the best, Stew Wilson

Back