• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gelatin to clarify bottled beer

The Drizzle

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently learned you can use plain gelatin to make your finished beer clear but it seems like most of the stuff I see or read online says you can only do this if you keg. I don't have the means to keg my beer so I was wondering if and how I can do this with bottling? If I can't use the gelatin trick with bottling are there any other ways to make my beer clear?

Also, does having clear beer affect the taste of the beer or is it just so it looks pretty? Cuz if it's just for looks I'll probably just scrap the whole idea all together.

Thanks for any help.  :)

I have used gelatin a couple of times to clarify my pilsner type of beers. I bottle my beers as you do, and I added the gelatin at the end of the secondary for 2-3 days. Even with the use of gelatin there still was some haziness in my pilsners. In addition I lost some taste/flavor after using gelatin. I am not using gelatin anymore and have accepted haziness in my pilsners. My friends and family already accepted for a long time ago my hazy pilsners. They don't bother the looks. they go for taste and flavor ;)
Regards,
Slurk

+1 to what Slurk says. The other thing about bottling beer, if you let it sit long enough, it will clear naturally. I'm talking four to five weeks. Hefs have conditioned us to accept good tasting cloudy beer. If it tastes good, who the heck cares!

Don't forget that when you use a fining agent there will be additional sediment loss. I'd just assume use an opaque mug if it bothers you that much. 

In my case I keg my brew, and a clear glass of beer only means that the keg is almost kicked.

Back